Mystery Keg

Firerat

Premium Member
Reaction score
I recently got back into this wonderful hobby after a year long hiatus.

For the last year all of my equipment was in a non air conditioned storage unit in South Florida.

Well the other day I'm digging around the last of the equipment and I came across a full corny keg!!

And I have absolutely no idea what is in it.

I can't for the life of me remember making a batch and losing a keg. Granted last year was incredibly hectic. We had our first baby and it's been quite the learning experience. But still, I thought I'd have notes on it or something.

At fist I thought maybe a batch of Starsan as I used to store it in empty kegs not in use. But I hit the pressure relief valve and nope, definitely beer of some sort. It didn't smell very hoppy (not surprising considering the conditions). Kind of malty. Maybe my Mocktoberfest?

I put it in my fermentation chamber last night and will be sampling it tonight for the sake of science / adventure!!

This could either be awesome or awful!! I can't imagine what at least a year in a storage unit that can get 100F+ would do to any beer. With my luck it'll be the best beer I ever brewed and I can never duplicate!!

I'll post my findings tonight!!

Probably tastes horrible. High temps usually aren't good for storage. But who knows....

Probably tastes horrible. High temps usually aren't good for storage. But who knows....
Yeah I'm not expecting much.

If it's at least meh, I can make marinate or something with it.

We'll see...

I'm very curious to find out how it turns out, and what it is.

Well it's beer. But it's pretty rank. Kind of hardto describe.

It was a mocktoberfest I had brewed in late summer 2016!! It went in that hot storage unit August 2016. Shudder

It tasted sour kind of. Not like infection sour. Just skunky and meh.

Oh well. I didn't expect much and that's what I got.

Well it's beer. But it's pretty rank. Kind of hardto describe.

It was a mocktoberfest I had brewed in late summer 2016!! It went in that hot storage unit August 2016. Shudder

It tasted sour kind of. Not like infection sour. Just skunky and meh.

Oh well. I didn't expect much and that's what I got.
Time to clean that puppy out and make some good stuff!
Welcome back to brewing!
CHEERS!

Bummer, but really, expected. It probably tastes better than most of what I brew.

I got kegs from a guy who died and 1 had " beer" that was 7 years old.
We tied it....
Not really a good idea, but it didn't kill me!

dam it i was hopping it was going to be awesome!

as jeff said time to put it to good use;)

Back