Hop Crop 2018

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
My 2018 hops are emerging for year #3. Chinook and cascades. I was hoping to get some Zeus in the ground this spring. We'll see if I can still make it happen.
Who else is growing this year?
20180407_111125-1024x1365.jpg

]
20180407_111039-1024x1365.jpg

I brewed with my first year hops last fall. Flavor and acid was very underwhelming. Not sure if I’m using them this year. I understand it takes three years to mature. Have Cascade, Crystal & Willamette.

Last edited:
I have some centennial that are on their fourth year. I got about 2.5 pounds of wet hops off one plant last year, so I am eager to see what I get this year.
Got more of Centennial last year, 4th year than we can possibly use and am using the $hit out of them. Basicly aroma but do get some bittering. Great grapefruity finish . Have been working on a house PA with them. 2row and 10 to 20% victory is coming around. The Warrior I picked up from Yakima valley hops works well with them to help bitter.

When winter finally hits here and my bines die off ill wack my young cascade Rhzome in a permanent spot in the ground and cross my fingers.

Them bines do die back right? You just prune em off at the ground when done?

Bloody hell it gets cold where you guys live!

My 2nd year rhizomes are going nuts. Tallest bines are 8 -10 feet so far. I'm letting them come in thicker than might be most productive because I planted them for privacy as well as hop crop. I got a few hops last year, but didn't dry them well and the flavor was nothing special. I should be able to pick and dry more properly this year and get some that'll do me some good.

Very cool, it's currently -9C here so nothing is growing. My wife has expressed interest in doing this, but I'm not sure how serious she was.

I just got some plants from great lakes hops. Kirin II and serebrianka. They sent me a free serebrianka so I got 2 of them.

Nothing is growing here, buried under at least a foot of snow. I grow 7 varieties, and the cascade and chinook are by far the most prolific, but my youngest plants are about 10 years old so they are pretty massive.

Nothing is growing here, buried under at least a foot of snow. I grow 7 varieties, and the cascade and chinook are by far the most prolific, but my youngest plants are about 10 years old so they are pretty massive.
Do you prune back to only a few shoots per plant or just let 'em buck? I did the first year or 2 but seems impossible as they mature.

Do you prune back to only a few shoots per plant or just let 'em buck? I did the first year or 2 but seems impossible as they mature.

I can't- they are out of control and I just don't have the time or inclination or discipline to do that. They are very pretty, and make really nice landscape plants so I don't mind. I still get a huge yield out of most of them.

I can't- they are out of control and I just don't have the time or inclination or discipline to do that. They are very pretty, and make really nice landscape plants so I don't mind. I still get a huge yield out of most of them.

Ours are on the edge of patio for shade. They are trained to go up 7ft then across ropes to the edge of the brewery. They do look good and add shade. It's a constant to get them to go horizontal though.

I'll see if I can dig up a fairly recent picture- we have the cascades on an arbor, and some centennial growing up a post on our porch for shade and beauty. The chinook is up over the greenhouse (for summer shade), the Zeuss grows up the side of our garage, the EKG and Northern Brewer go up the side of the storage shed, while the hallertauer grows up a light pole. More centennials trail along a garden fence, and other centennials grow up a structure next to the garage.

The only variety I tried to grow and couldn't was willamette. I tried twice, but they didn't like our climate. The other varieties grow like invasive weeds. After 12 years, the cascades are trying to grow everywhere- under our deck, in the middle of the yard, everywhere they can sprout.

Wow, you are having fun with the hops. Mine did nothing really, first year, but only two tiny cones...and not great growth at all :( The climate was always going to be a problem, just too humid and hot for too long. It was worth a go though. May try again when I move back to the UK.
But, I'll have to be careful as it looks like they take after Dr. Evil in a quest for world domination!:p

How hard is it to stop growing hops? Would pulling up their roots keep them from returning?

Wow, you are having fun with the hops. Mine did nothing really, first year, but only two tiny cones...and not great growth at all :( The climate was always going to be a problem, just too humid and hot for too long. It was worth a go though. May try again when I move back to the UK.
But, I'll have to be careful as it looks like they take after Dr. Evil in a quest for world domination!:p
mine yeilded much the same green man they are still happily growing ATM in a pot when and if mine ever die back and winter hits ill throw them in the ground. but yes hops im sure dont grow in the subtropics fingers crossed eh:cool:.

My hops started coming on hard a few weeks ago and they're already showing signs of flowering. :cool:

Back