Fermcap-S

BOB357

Trial Member
Reaction score
I've been using Fermcap-S in starters and fermentation for a couple of years. I pitched Nottingham yeast into an 1.063 IPA Tuesday and after about 8 hours it was going strong. Went in this morning to take a look and the air lock had blown off. Luckily, not a big mess in the fermentation fridge. This was 5.25 gallons in a 6.5 gallon Bigmouth Bubbler and, yes, I did remember to add 11 drops of Fermcap-S when transferring to the fermenter.

I'm thinking the Fermcap-S must be too old. There has been more krausen on the last few batches and now this blow off. The bottle doesn't have any date on it, but I'm pitching it and picking up more tomorrow.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

I've never used it for fermentation, I always used it in the boil to prevent boil over.

I have no experience with Ferm-cap or any other similar items in effect, rather I use a blow off tube in a bottle full of Star-San for every brew. I might switch over to a bubbler when fermentation has slowed, but even then it’s only for counter space. I’m curious on future comments as I love to learn about others and their techniques. Man I love Home brewing! Sorry I couldn’t contribute directly.

I've used Fermcap in the boil - and stopped. Never tried it for fermentation. I've used blow-off tubes and my current round of fermentors is large enough that there's no blow-off needed. Different yeasts produce different krauesens so it may just be a function of the yeast you used rather than the Fermcap. When there are two explanations for a thing and one is more likely, bet on that one. I don't think Fermcap - basically simethicone, can go bad.

Yep, it's just silica in a solution

I used a blow off tube in the past, but Fermcap was just so easy and worked well. Since I use it for starters, why not for fermentation?
Stopped by my LHBS today and they didn't have any foam control products in stock. You know when I order some on line, I'll order a bunch of other stuff to justify the shipping. Lost sales for the LHBS. Sorry. but what does it cost you to cstock an item that you sell for $5?

I once chewed out the LHBS employee because they were out of the yeast I needed, which they normally stock. Just venting, right? The next time I was in there, the manager brought up them being out of that yeast. I thought he was going to apologize. Instead, he told me I was not to chew out the help! He chastised me. Talked to me like a manager would while disciplining an employee. I wonder if that manager follows this forum! They were the only LHBS in town at the time.

I once chewed out the LHBS employee because they were out of the yeast I needed, which they normally stock. Just venting, right? The next time I was in there, the manager brought up them being out of that yeast. I thought he was going to apologize. Instead, he told me I was not to chew out the help! He chastised me. Talked to me like a manager would while disciplining an employee. I wonder if that manager follows this forum! They were the only LHBS in town at the time.

No worries about that here. Small shop and dealing with only the owners. I shrugged it off and didn't say $hit. I like the young guys that own the shop, but they are focusing more on the equipment end than consumables. Having owned my own business for 18+ years I understand the need to move some high dollar product, but you also need to have the basic products and provide service that brings customers in the door and keeps them coming back.

Overall, I like the shop and will continue to use them as my primary supplier. I will buy things they don't have and don't offer to order for me from an on line supplier along with enough other stuff to make the order worthwhile. Might even save a buck or 2 doing it.

Sorry for the rant, but my biggest pet peeve is watching quality of service and pride in work go further into the $hitter as time goes on.

It could just be they sold out of it and are waiting to put a reorder in when they need other things as well. Probably will help them on shipping costs to order a pallet of stuff at once rather than a box every time one item sells out.

Yes, it was because they were sold out. Like I said, it is a regularly stocked yeast. They just had a run on it. I was all set to brew a particular beer, and then had to call an audible. Frustrating at that time, but I was over it by the next time I went there. That manager took me by surprise when he scolded me. It’s not unusual for a consumer to be frustrated when he goes to a store and it is out of basic items.

Sometimes running out of a certain yeast is annoying. Other times it can lead to a revelation... You realize a different yeast works even better in that beer.
I was really responding to the fermcap running out but it works for both. And any owner isn't going to like their employees being called out when it wasn't said employees fault. They should understand you are upset, but they need to stick up for their people at the same time. Its a balancing act, and sometimes it goes a bit too much one way or the other.

To be clear, I did not insult that guy. I didn’t even raise my voice. I expressed my frustration to the only employee in the store at the time.

Didn't say you did.... Just that he might have taken it that way. If the owners always take the customers side, the employees might get upset and leave.... If the owner takes the employees side every time, customers might leave. They have to keep everyone happy. Not always fun.

It could just be they sold out of it and are waiting to put a reorder in when they need other things as well. Probably will help them on shipping costs to order a pallet of stuff at once rather than a box every time one item sells out.

He told me they quit stocking anti foaming products.
Sometimes running out of a certain yeast is annoying. Other times it can lead to a revelation... You realize a different yeast works even better in that beer.
I was really responding to the fermcap running out but it works for both. And any owner isn't going to like their employees being called out when it wasn't said employees fault. They should understand you are upset, but they need to stick up for their people at the same time. Its a balancing act, and sometimes it goes a bit too much one way or the other.

Was told they no longer stocked any anti foaming agents. No offer to order it in either.

To be clear, I did not insult that guy. I didn’t even raise my voice. I expressed my frustration to the only employee in the store at the time.
I can understand the frustration but stock-outs are a fact of life in any retail situation, otherwise you'd have too much stock on hand and it would go bad. Can't say I haven't done the same but not at the LHBS - I've known those guys for a long time and consider them friends AND if they're out and I can wait a couple days, they'll have it back in, great excuse to go to the attached brewery and have a really good beer....

The brewery next door has won more GABF awards than any other Colorado brewery.

I can understand the frustration but stock-outs are a fact of life in any retail situation, otherwise you'd have too much stock on hand and it would go bad.
I think the plan of the retail store is to sell their stock, not to amass it.

I think the plan of the retail store is to sell their stock, not to amass it.
Exactly! Calculating stock out rates for low volume products is a bitch. It's finding the balance between too much and not enough.

I’m not talking about low volume products. They usually have several packets of Czech Pils 2278 on hand. Not that day. Yes I was frustrated. I got over it before I left the store. Maybe I’m the only one here who wants what he wants. (I am not looking for a substitute for that particular yeast. That’s what I did to solve my problem that day. I substituted.)

I want these guys to stay in business. The other LHBS sucks. No animosity, just doing what I gotta do as an old fart on a limited and fixed income.

Back