What are your local beer trends?

Yeah... local beer trends are bad beer in general... shrug!

Never should have moved from Denmark.

Lagers never went away here in SA , we have a decent local beer culture but not as strong as our wine culture .
Sours are gaining popularity ( I even had a young fella ask me if id tried these " new sour beers " )
Barrel aging and mixed ferments are also on the increase but with winter approaching I doubt the NEIPA craze will remain dormant until next summer

Last edited:
WoW! That's unfortunate.
They cater to the college students that, in my opinion, aren’t discerning consumers, rather like hanging out at brew pubs and drink what has a catchy name.

Myself , I don't enjoy what Brett brings to a beer so while not my " cup of tea " if needed ill judge as to style it was entered as .

Yeah... local beer trends are bad beer in general... shrug!

Never should have moved from Denmark.
Maybe you should have moved to Denver.... Local beer trend here is to brew very good beer, as evidenced by Colorado's haul this year at GABF. There are some bad breweries around but most realize their stuff has to be good, as defined by the pubic, if they're to survive.

Myself , I don't enjoy what Brett brings to a beer so while not my " cup of tea " if needed ill judge as to style it was entered as .
Ditto that. Funk outside of a disco has no place in my life....

Yeah, but back when I was drinking dollar pitchers, a dollar was a bit harder to come by! I could have had five pitchers for the cost of one pint at our local brewpubs....

There was light trends of sours, gose.
for 1 year, milkshakes ipa were popular, not as much as NEIPA, which is really popular.
This year, barrel aged beers are gaining popularity. Scotch ale, pale ales, everything. In scotch barrel, white and red wine barrels, any kind.

Yeah the sour / gose trend is still going strong here.

I've yet to try a NEIPA. Must be a very fruity, non-bitter beer with a thick mouthfeel.
Have tried one Lambic. That.was an experience. The blue cheese of the beer world. I can see how it is also a Vegemite/ Marmite thing, you love it, or you hate it.

I've yet to try a NEIPA. Must be a very fruity, non-bitter beer with a thick mouthfeel.
Have tried one Lambic. That.was an experience. The blue cheese of the beer world. I can see how it is also a Vegemite/ Marmite thing, you love it, or you hate it.
I tried lambic when I first got into craft beer many years ago. I thought it was terrible, but had to get through it for a beer club at a bar. I might like it now that I like sours, but I just don't have the stones to order it when there's so many other choices
Also, vegimite is gross

NEIPA is actually quite good - I like that it's not harshly bitter, unlike some of the solventy, tongue-ripping IPAs I've had....

Several of the local neipas here are dangerously easy to drink , shame about the 7%+ abv on some of them .
I have seen draft judging guidelines for them and they make sense to me having a min ibu of 40 since you cant spell neipa without the IPA on the end .
I have a gifted bottle from a fellow local made with kaffir lime leaves , should be interesting

I live in the Northeast US, so naturally NEIPA has a stranglehold on the local industry. The hopheads I've run into in taprooms border on over analytical to annoying. The trends that are gaining traction are English styles, and sours. Drop In brewing, and Zero Gravity brewing are 2 Vermont breweries that excel at English beers....thanks for that! BTW.....their IPAs stink.

I found my "stranded on a desert island" beer - and it's from Wyoming of all places! Melvin's IPA. It was clear but still managed the "juicy" effect, a tremendous balance between floral-citrus hops and malt. I like NEIPAs and am going to apply the "all late hops" idea to my next Pale Ale but dang, Melvins is some good stuff. It's beer I'd buy.

Sours are having a bit of a run lately. Also +1 to drop in brewing. Steve Parkes is the man

Back