Torrified wheat vs. flaked

Michael_biab

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
My Local Home Brew Store was out of flaked wheat, so I substituted torrified wheat instead for an American IPA (BIAB method). I believe both must be mashed, and they should have a similar impact on beer flavor. If that's the case, I wonder why these two different kinds of adjuncts are even available? Does anyone know why we often see both? Do they have a similar impact on flavor as I assume or am I wrong on that? Thanks in advance!

{First, I have to say that my autocorrect made it "terrified" wheat instead of torrified. I laughed at that.}

Torrified wheat reminds me of the cereal "Rice Krispies". Because it's unmalted, it's pregelatinized by heating so that you can mash it and create fermentable sugars from it. It is mostly for head retention with little impact on flavor.

Using flaked wheat in a similar amount would give a similar result.

I don't know if I ever heard of torrified wheat before now.

Treat both the same in the mash. They are different processing methods used to release starch from a grain kernel. Torrefaction (rice krispies) uses high heat, like making popcorn. Flaking (corn flakes) uses steam and high pressure rollers. Neither are diastatic.

I've never seen a flavor comparison. I'm sure there is some minute difference. Flaking might have more melanoidins but only a very tiny amount.

8D675069-44A2-4998-9DF0-8F8D9DB11DE8.jpeg
I don't know if I ever heard of torrified wheat before now.
Yes you have.

Puffed wheat is torrified wheat?

That’s what I was told. In fact, I think I read that in a Charlie P book.

Huh, learn something new every day.

I was actually looking up the same just some days ago, I think I read somewhere someone saying that torrified wheat have more toasted notes and flaked wheat more grainy. But don't quote me on that...

Sounds reasonable to me. You have to heat it (think popcorn) to torrify it.

Back