priming sugar vs brewing sugar vs malt extract

Cianic

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm new to home brewing but currently planning to make an american pale ale. However, the kit I ordered came with 3 kg of malt extract 100 g of priming sugar and 650 g of brewing sugar along with the hops and yeast.
So my question is was is the purpose of the priming and brewing sugar. The priming sugar I assume is added to the container before bottling to allow the beer to bottle condition. The brewing sugar however I don't understand and i haven't been able to find a decent source of what it is designed does it replace the malt extract? is it added after the boil? anything?!
The kit also came without instructions so that doesn't help. Would really appreciate some advice

Thanks

-Cillian

Can you post a pic of the instructions, or a link to them?

the brewing sugar might be for adding gravity and drying out the beer. Add it as a pre-boil addition, or with about 5-10 min left in the boil.... that's my guess.

Sorry, I thought you said you couldn’t figure out the instructions. Who makes the kit?

At any rate, you’re right about the priming sugar. That’s post fermentation, for bottle conditioning. Can you itemize the complete list of ingredients you got with the kit? Include the weights of each, and the alpha acid % for the hops. We can just formulate a recipe for you if all else fails.

the brewing sugar might be for adding gravity and drying out the beer. Add it as a pre-boil addition, or with about 5-10 min left in the boil.... that's my guess.
Okay, is there a logic to that or is that just a safe bet. I usually add my extract pre boil I don't know if they'd interfere with each other.

The brewing sugar and the priming sugar are most probably the same sugar (dextrose AKA corn sugar) the only difference being the use. As others have said, the priming sugar is to be used before bottling to carbonate the beer, and the brewing sugar is used at some point on the hot side, it doesn't really matter if you add it at the beginning or the end of the boil, its only purpose is to increase the gravity of the beer (and thus produce more alcohol) and to do it at a lower cost than malt extract. If you can easily get more dry malt extract (DME) you could use that in place of the brewing sugar which would probably result in a better tasting beer.

The brewing sugar and the priming sugar are most probably the same sugar (dextrose AKA corn sugar) the only difference being the use. As others have said, the priming sugar is to be used before bottling to carbonate the beer, and the brewing sugar is used at some point on the hot side, it doesn't really matter if you add it at the beginning or the end of the boil, its only purpose is to increase the gravity of the beer (and thus produce more alcohol) and to do it at a lower cost than malt extract. If you can easily get more dry malt extract (DME) you could use that in place of the brewing sugar which would probably result in a better tasting beer.
Okay that's what I assumed, just was confused due to the lack of instructions and also the LME came with the kit as well so I assumed they didn't have the same purpose

Back