Anti foam

yegnal

Trial Member
Reaction score
I picked up some simethicone for use as an anti foaming agent in a yeast starter, a drop worked great.

Will it interfere with head retention if used during fermentation ?

Any guess on 5 gal batch dosing ?

I paid $12 for this little bottle late at night at CVS because my starter was boiling over and don't want it to go to waste.

what size is your starter (liter amount and gravity amount)?

What size and type container are you putting your starter into?

My curiosity is whether simethicone if added to fermentation will ultimately intefere with head retention.

Adding it to the yeast starter worked, my concern about fermentation is separate, original post wasn't as descriptive as it should have been.

Just adding to the fermenter, without even using a starter, would head retention be affected?

its just easier to boil the dme in a pot then sanitize the flask and a funnel with star-sans and you'll never need it

I've never heard of that stuff. I use fermicap and it works great.

That’s Gas X!

I saw some posts from other forums and the brewers who used it were happy with the results. It works the same as ferm-cap by reducing water tension for a while and then supposedly settles out. I use ferm-cap in starters and in the boil with no problems.
Dosage? Not sure.

I’ve seen Beano used in beer, but not Gas X. Pretty creative.

I never even considered that as an option. Now I'm curious. I wonder how it compares price wise.

That’s Gas X!

I saw some posts from other forums and the brewers who used it were happy with the results. It works the same as ferm-cap by reducing water tension for a while and then supposedly settles out. I use ferm-cap in starters and in the boil with no problems.
Dosage? Not sure.

I’ve seen Beano used in beer, but not Gas X. Pretty creative.

Can't really take credit, was a late night solution found on a forum somewhere, and it worked..... Was not cheap though, and even though I'll be using ferm-cap soon enough I'm sure, I'm wondering if I could use what I have left just not to waste it..

Can't really take credit, was a late night solution found on a forum somewhere, and it worked..... Was not cheap though, and even though I'll be using ferm-cap soon enough I'm sure, I'm wondering if I could use what I have left just not to waste it..
Here's a thread on another forum that may help.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/simethicone.182623/

Ferm-cap is just a food grade silicone that drops out and/or the yeast grab it as they floc. I'd give it at least one try in a beer, but then I guess I'd switch back to a more conventional method.

Interesting notion - I just buy anti-foam from the LHBS, likely the same thing. And haven't used it in about three years.

Back