How much for steeping?

jmcnamara

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I'm planning on doing some test batches for the different crystal malts soon. simple dme, magnum, and us-05.

does the normal 10% rule for crystal in all grain recipes still hold for extract batches? i want the flavor to be pronounced, but not make any of them undrinkable

yes its the same, its a flavor grain anyway just steep like normal, no need to mash for an hour

If you mean 10% of grain bill, then it depends on extraction efficiency. I think brewer's friend software has a default of 30% extraction rate on steeping grains. If that's true, then you would go off that to come of with the 10% and I would assume you would not want to exceed 10% total sugars from crystal grain, not so much "grain bill". The other thing to consider is the amount of crystal grain used to make an extract, that can be hard to determine.

i'd be using the same extract for each one. It might skew the flavor one way slightly, but I should be able to still tell the difference between them all

The other thing to consider is the amount of crystal grain used to make an extract, that can be hard to determine.
This is a really good point. Unless you know exactly what went into the wort that became the extract you are using, adding crystal malts can be a bit of a crapshoot. The best advice I ever got regarding extract brewing was to use the lightest extract you can find (and use the same every time if you can) and to think of it like base malt in all grain brewing.

Using the same extract, hops, yeast, pitching rate and process is as good as it gets in an experiment of this type. Great to learn the difference in flavors between grains. Just remember that the flavor you perceive from a particular ingredient in one beer may not be the same as you perceive in another beer. The entirety of the recipe and process determines the final results.

Back