Homebound Hobby

Radcp

Trial Member
Reaction score
Pre-kids I would be out every weekend enjoying the great outdoors and to my wife's dismay that meant snowshoeing or skiing part of the year. Now that we have my son I needed to find a hobby that was less intense and kept me occupied at home. So for Christmas of 2016 my wife bought me a home-brew kit.

I started strong for a few months then got distracted; but now I have been back at it full force for 4 months now. I can do all grain brewing with a homemade setup but my home brew kit was made for extract so that ends up being 80% of the beer I make.
Being from Portsmouth, New Hampshire puts me smack middle in NE IPA country so unless I brew a different sort of IPA I generally go with the plethora of microbrews around home.

I really enjoy a good saison, farmhouse ale or lambic so those are the styles that I want to specialize in. I also love a good berlinerweiss in the summer but that will be a seasonal fling. At some point my goal is to harvest some yeast and keep it growing for my own use but I'll take it one step at a time.

Arriba, abajo, al centro, para adentro

Pre-kids I would be out every weekend enjoying the great outdoors and to my wife's dismay that meant snowshoeing or skiing part of the year. Now that we have my son I needed to find a hobby that was less intense and kept me occupied at home. So for Christmas of 2016 my wife bought me a home-brew kit.

I started strong for a few months then got distracted; but now I have been back at it full force for 4 months now. I can do all grain brewing with a homemade setup but my home brew kit was made for extract so that ends up being 80% of the beer I make.
Being from Portsmouth, New Hampshire puts me smack middle in NE IPA country so unless I brew a different sort of IPA I generally go with the plethora of microbrews around home.

I really enjoy a good saison, farmhouse ale or lambic so those are the styles that I want to specialize in. I also love a good berlinerweiss in the summer but that will be a seasonal fling. At some point my goal is to harvest some yeast and keep it growing for my own use but I'll take it one step at a time.

You are a lucky man having all them brewery's to inspire you.

2nd Jeffpns advice on the BIAB route it's pretty easy brewing as we all know ifs after the wort is made that the serious business begins of fermenting and packaging.

You'd have some great hombrew stores and communities around you to I'm sure. Good luck.

I also love a good berlinerweiss in the summer but that will be a seasonal fling. At some point my goal is to harvest some yeast and keep it growing for my own use but I'll take it one step at a time.

must respectfully disagree, a good weiss bier is perfect for hockey season also. I prescribe 2 with each game :))

Good luck with your brew-ventures.

Hey Medarius... I see you sportin’ The Penguins logo. You by chance local to the ‘burg? I live outside of Latrobe. Home of Steelers traing camp.

Hey Medarius... I see you sportin’ The Penguins logo. You by chance local to the ‘burg? I live outside of Latrobe. Home of Steelers traing camp.
no live in middle of Iowa , just always a pittsburg fan …we share birthday :)) D. Kasparitis was favorite. Now its Rusty. No Rust no cups

Since hockey has 3 periods, why stop at 2 weiss beers?

Welcome to the fermenter Radcp :)

Back