Show water volumes by weight

CottonClub

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have a Zymatic. The water vessel is a 5gal corny keg. In this configuration, it is easier measure the water by weight as opposed to by volume given no markings on the keg for volumes.

It would be handy to have the option to display the water requirements by weight.
Added bonus to input brew log volumes by weight.

Thanks!

I have a Zymatic. The water vessel is a 5gal corny keg. In this configuration, it is easier measure the water by weight as opposed to by volume given no markings on the keg for volumes.

It would be handy to have the option to display the water requirements by weight.

Thanks!

I'm trying to picture how this would be implemented. So the water you start with, if 5 gallons, is 40 pounds. And you keep the keg on a scale, so you can move the water you need? You don't want to use volumes at all?

Thanks!

I posted this link in another thread a few days back, but it can come in really handy in a case such as yours.
http://manskirtbrewing.com/Calculators.aspx

Dang I love those squirrels.
Simples find weight of empty keg deduct this off of your filled volume weight and then devide by 1000 should give you your volume in liters.
Actually not a bad idea if doing a closed transfer and you can't see your fill volume. Just wack it on a set of bathroom scales before racking and weigh in your transfer...:)

I use the condensation on the outside of the keg but I suppose this won't work if it's chilly outside..

Multiply gallons of water by 8.35 pounds per gallon. If you're interested in quarts, it's 2.09 pounds per quart. Metric: 1 liter of water is 1 kilogram. Trialben's procedure works fine for the precision we need as brewers. I calibrate my vessels using weight. And the conversions are "accurate" only at standard conditions (pure water, 4 degrees celsius or 60 degrees fahrenheit, depending on units).

Back