How to Use No Chill Feature

BeerGuy707

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have searched the forums, but I haven't seen any real explanation on this. The FAQ about the no chill feature is very vague and I was hoping someone could elaborate a bit more.

When you click on the "more" section of the recipe builder - you have options to enter "extended boil time" and "hop utilization multiplier". What do these numbers mean and how do you determine them?

Hello,

I have searched the forums, but I haven't seen any real explanation on this. The FAQ about the no chill feature is very vague and I was hoping someone could elaborate a bit more.

When you click on the "more" section of the recipe builder - you have options to enter "extended boil time" and "hop utilization multiplier". What do these numbers mean and how do you determine them?

There is utilization as long as the wort is hot. As a result, you will get higher IBUS when doing no-chill than with a traditional chilling method. Many factors go into this- how long the wort stays at near-boiling temperatures, and how long the wort stays above about 140 degrees. Because of that, the "extended boil time" (when the wort stays at near boiling temperatures) can vary from brewer to brewer. Also, the hop utilization will vary based on the length of time the wort is hot even if not boiling.

Because of this, maybe seeing how other brewers do it may be helpful to you. Here's a thread from this forum on this subject: https://www.brewersfriend.com/forum/threads/no-chill-tips.6510/ (only one response there, I'm afraid).

And our note on the feature:
  • A value of between 5 and 15 minutes should more accurately represent the IBUs for the batch. We leave it up to you decide.
  • With a no chill batch, the hops continue to impart bitterness after the boil is done because the temperature drops so gradually.
We say "we leave it up to you to decide" because your results with no-chill may be very different than others due to the factors above that I mentioned. It may be helpful to look at your method and then compare it to others using very similar techniques to lock in your numbers.

Hi,

Thanks for the speedy reply. How does one go about figuring out the hop utilization percentage?

Hi , I've been no chilling for 18 months and don't change the no chill time at all .
As Yooper said it does vary by brewer and processes .
How long after flameout do you whirlpool for ? What sort of beers are you brewing ?

I usually whirlpool right after flameout and let sit for 30 minutes. I mostly brew hoppy IPAs which is the styles I am most concerned about. I've inadvertently created a few huge bitter bombs in the past.

I know now when formulating recipes how to avoid that - but just trying to use the software more effectively and get more accurate IBU stats on my beers.

30 minutes is a long time , what temp is your wort on transfer ?

The only way to no chill safely is to use the heat of the wort as a back up sanitiser and fill cube right to very brim , then exclude all air .
This acts as a safety device of its own as on cooling the cube is under partial vacuum so if you find a cube not under vacuum it may be infected

I keep lid closed and transfer into a sanitized HDPE bucket - never had infection issues.

Been meaning to get a hop spider to minimize transfer of trub and hop matter - just haven't yet.

I keep lid closed and transfer into a sanitized HDPE bucket - never had infection issues.

Been meaning to get a hop spider to minimize transfer of trub and hop matter - just haven't yet.
Ive even been toying with the idea of leaving the lid on kettle and transfering across into FV next day.

Think the kettle has just been full sterilized with a 60 minute boil and i transfer trub and all into FV so why not just leave it in kettle. Or better yet ferment the whole.batch as is in kettle?

You want to get the wort off the hop matter and hot break , cube is the safest way as its completely sealed , you might get away with it 1000 times or get an infection first time out

You want to get the wort off the hop matter and hot break , cube is the safest way as its completely sealed , you might get away with it 1000 times or get an infection first time out

Im a no chill guy myself and probably more then 40 to 50 batches with no infection. Because you transfer to the cube at near boiling temps i cant see an infection getting a chance. Its a risk im comfortable taking for the time it saves me.

I'm talking about the risk of leaving in kettle overnight , no chill is perfectly safe if done properly
Do your LHBS carry fresh wort kits ? these are no chill done on a commercial scale

so if i remove my hops at end of boil do i need use the no chill feature? I no chill into my sealed 6 gallon fermenting bucket and cool overnight to 70F

so if i remove my hops at end of boil do i need use the no chill feature? I no chill into my sealed 6 gallon fermenting bucket and cool overnight to 70F

Probably- the hops oils are in the wort, even if the vegetal matter is removed. As to how much of the hops oils are in the wort, it would depend on the times they were added so I can't really give a good estimate on how much of the oils are in the wort, but I would say it would be a significant amount.

Probably- the hops oils are in the wort, even if the vegetal matter is removed. As to how much of the hops oils are in the wort, it would depend on the times they were added so I can't really give a good estimate on how much of the oils are in the wort, but I would say it would be a significant amount.

doesn't seem to be much

Back