Dry hopping question

illingwd

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I’m currently fermenting an American IPA kit beer which has been in the plastic fermenter for two weeks. I now need to dry hop for three days or so before bottling.

Only problem is I won’t be able to get sufficient bottles for another week!

So, should I transfer to secondary to get it off the yeast and dry hop towards the end of the week in secondary? I only have plastic buckets and have heard plastic secondaries can allow oxidisation once primary fermentation has ended.

Alternatively I could leave it on the yeast for a further week and dry hop in the primary?

Advice welcome!

Hi all. I’m currently fermenting an American IPA kit beer which has been in the plastic fermenter for two weeks. I now need to dry hop for three days or so before bottling.

Only problem is I won’t be able to get sufficient bottles for another week!

So, should I transfer to secondary to get it off the yeast and dry hop towards the end of the week in secondary? I only have plastic buckets and have heard plastic secondaries can allow oxidisation once primary fermentation has ended.

Alternatively I could leave it on the yeast for a further week and dry hop in the primary?

Advice welcome!
I'm just a beginner myself but that's what I've been doing, toss in the dry hopping hops directly into the fermenter after 2 weeks and let it sit there for a few days or up to a week.

Yeah it won't hurt it to leave it in the fermenter for another week.

Alternately, you could wait until three days before you get your bottles....

Left a stout for three weeks on the yeast and it was great, possibly better for it.
Chuck in the pellets 3 days before the end of that third week and it'll be fine, I reckon.
I use bags to stop hop material getting in to the bottles personally. Throwing them in 'commando' works fine too though, as long you filter out the hops before they get into the bottles. I used a tea strainer.
I don't bother with secondary. Not sure if many people do.

OK great, thanks all. I'd read about dead yeast affecting the taste if the beer's left on the yeast for too long but good to have reassurance that another week won't matter! I've made this particular kit once before (Young's AIPA) and it turned out good so fingers crossed for the second attempt...

From what I can gather it's not really an issue unless you're leaving it for months.

From what I can gather it's not really an issue unless you're leaving it for months.
It isn't. Yeast is very stable under the beer it made. Autolysis is not a consideration in dry hopping again, unless you're waiting months to package the beer.

You will be ok. Leave on primary and throw in the hops whenever you like. As long as they are in the beer for 2-3 days, you will get the flavor you are after. If they sit for an extra week, will still be fine. I only secondary to clear obscene amounts of hop material out after dry hopping or if the beer is going to sit for months. I don't use plastic buckets though. Never liked them and I do enjoy using the carboys.

Back