Question about stirring mash

Your thoughts on stirring mash during the 1 hour mash in after you mixed it to remove dough balls?

If you're using the Brewer's Edge without a bag, stirring the wort can let flour settle at the bottom of the tank. There it gets burned by the heating elements and the unit locks up with the E4 code. You have to drain the whole tank and clean the bottom when that happens. I need to find a bag that fits the inner basket.

If you're using the Brewer's Edge without a bag, stirring the wort can let flour settle at the bottom of the tank. There it gets burned by the heating elements and the unit locks up with the E4 code. You have to drain the whole tank and clean the bottom when that happens. I need to find a bag that fits the inner basket.

i made 6 batches never had that happen
i dont stir too much

Hasn’t happened to me either. Brewer’s Edge recommends against using a bag, citing the very problem you’re wanting to prevent.

Attachments

• 6568542C-D01C-4B6B-A92B-54F17AF7D93B.png
    6568542C-D01C-4B6B-A92B-54F17AF7D93B.png
    258.8 KB · Views: 84
I stir every 20 minutes or so, just a quick stir to make sure everything is mixing around and there are no dough balls. I probably don't need to do it, but it makes me feel good. I use a 20 gallon Coleman chest cooler though for a mash tun.

I stir every 20 minutes or so, just a quick stir to make sure everything is mixing around and there are no dough balls. I probably don't need to do it, but it makes me feel good. I use a 20 gallon Coleman chest cooler though for a mash tun.
Same i also find that if there are any remaining doe balls you may have missed at mash in their easier to break up at 20 minutes.

Back