Transferring from mashton to brew kettle

Brewer #125655

Trial Member
Reaction score
Been brewing for over a year and wondering best method. Using 10 gallon cooler wi false bottom and after seeping for 1 hour, openi spygott and transferring through tubing into brew kettle. Is tubing necessary to avoid splashing? I’ve been told to avoid splashing and bubbles. But is that only kettle to carboy?
Figure I should just open spygott and let it flow. Right?

Been brewing for over a year and wondering best method. Using 10 gallon cooler wi false bottom and after seeping for 1 hour, openi spygott and transferring through tubing into brew kettle. Is tubing necessary to avoid splashing? I’ve been told to avoid splashing and bubbles. But is that only kettle to carboy?
Figure I should just open spygott and let it flow. Right?
Supposedly hot side airation is not good so thats the reason for the hose to reduce splashing yet once its cooled eg kettle to fermentation vessal once wort is cooled splashing is good to introduce o2 for yeasties.

I know its confusing others know the science behind it i pay it some heed but deffietly dont splash too much once beer is fermented. Good luck.

Reasonable precautions: Don't splash if you can help it. Submerge the run-off hose, simple stuff. Don't splash while mashing and don't splash after fermentation. With these reasonable precautions I make beer with a three-year shelf life.

I can't think of a reason why it would really matter, I open mine wide open but I use a hose anyway since the 68ish C wort will burn like hell if it gets on me. I'd rather avoid any splashing.

I can't think of a reason why it would really matter, I open mine wide open but I use a hose anyway since the 68ish C wort will burn like hell if it gets on me. I'd rather avoid any splashing.
I chill mine before transfer - clarification.

You chill your beer before you boil it? Why?

You chill your beer before you boil it? Why?
No, I chill before transferring from the kettle to the fermentor. The plastic likely wouldn't survive if I didn't. I got the impression from your post that you don't?

Reasonable precautions: Don't splash if you can help it. Submerge the run-off hose, simple stuff. Don't splash while mashing and don't splash after fermentation. With these reasonable precautions I make beer with a three-year shelf life.
Well said. Thank you!
Supposedly hot side airation is not good so thats the reason for the hose to reduce splashing yet once its cooled eg kettle to fermentation vessal once wort is cooled splashing is good to introduce o2 for yeasties.

I know its confusing others know the science behind it i pay it some heed but deffietly dont splash too much once beer is fermented. Good luck.
You explained it well. Will continue.

NOW I know why I’ve been doing it!

No, I chill before transferring from the kettle to the fermentor. The plastic likely wouldn't survive if I didn't. I got the impression from your post that you don't?

No, my understanding was we were talking about the initial transfer. I think we're on the same page.

Back