Cost price calculation in brewsessions

Brewer #53320

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've just started using brewers friend, but I would like to request a feature. I want to keep track of the costs for each beer I make, and would like to see what a beer costs after brewing. This possibly could be done by entering the price of ingredients in your inventory and that this price is used for cost price calculations in the brew sessions? Are more brewers interested in this feature?

And a small thing tot consider, a separate "best before" field in the inventory to make it sortable (I now use the note section to keep track of the best before dates).

Best regards from The Netherlands!!

I second that request.

I requested this a long time ago and the response was that it would take a lot of work to get down to every detail of a brew's cost. I think at least a simple cost accumulator could be added to the recipe builder, each ingredient could have an additional field next to it to get summed. If nothing is entered then it doesn't get added so you can get as detailed as you want. Then the recipe could have a total cost associated with it, and the brew session could use that number to determine the cost per 12oz based on the packaged log entry.

I'll 3rd this request. While nice to have an inventory with $ amounts, that's about as far as it goes. To make it functionable and worthwhile, it really should allow you to use the inventory dollar amounts to calculate recipe costs. At this point, it doesn't even calculate out line items.

I would like to see this to. BrewersFriend is atm the software that I use. The thing that this online envoirment is really lacking is the cost calculation! :shock:

Seconding this. Would be great to add some options for tracking things like the cost of non-ingredient consumables like propane and water as well!

I am to requesting this! I also would like to keep track of costs per brew and bottle

I like software that helps with all the calculations but isn't there a limit to how clunky you want the software to be? IMO there is already more unused junk (for lack of a better word) in the software than we really need. To much just causes bugs and interference with what it was intended for in the first place. A true cost analysis would have to include either gas or electricity, very small amounts of brewing salts etc. I have been around watching this software develope for a while and there have been some outstanding advancements. As brewers we need to realize where we need to just do things on our own and use the recipe builder for what it's for.

For me at the moment I use the software complete. That what I like about brewersfriend. I don't have pieces i don't use. And gas and electricity imo are overhead costs. So for me they don't have to be in place.

TRUE TRUE headfirst heck next thing well want the program to actually brew the Beer for us!:p

You will bow to your robot overlords.... Resistance is futile. Exterminate....
Im gathering big time comercial beers really are getting brewed but atomated robots....

I wrote that before thinking it was a crazy statement heck its already come to pass.

No one thinks its a handy feature?
I think it's a feature you could easily implement on your own with Google Sheets or Excel; however, I also think that whatever your prices, they would be largely different for the rest of us. I buy a twelve-pack of yeast for $50 (US), meaning I pay $4.17 plus tax for a smack pack of vial of yeast someone else is paying $9 for. Now let's bring in our German, UK, Australian and Canadian brewers who are not only facing different prices but different currencies.... I have to vote with the forum, Excel is the way to go on this one.

I buy my ingredients per batch. The brew store receipt gives me that number.

there's already a shopping list with pricing then you can convert it to inventory, it was started just not finished

I buy my ingredients per batch. The brew store receipt gives me that number.
Generally I do as well. I suppose one issue is I'm not tracking my cost that closely but the complexity of pricing makes this rather difficult to implement globally, easy to do so locally.

Tracking cost is not important to me. Someone told me long ago that brewing your own beer isn’t about saving money. It’s about a hobby, a passion, an endeavor to discover how beer is made. I tend to agree with that.

Last edited:
Tracking cost is not important to me. Someone told me long ago that brewing your own beer isn’t about saving money. It’s about a hobby, a passion, an endeavor to discover how beer is made. I tend to agree with hat.
I don't know who this Hat fellow is, but if agree with him too :D

Back