Evaporation rate question

Beerbelly

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Does the boil evaporation rate change with outside temp.? I have my system dialed in almost perfectly, except for the evaporation rate. I brew outdoors year 'round, and my evap rate seems to change depending on the air temp. I have a mark on my propane regulator that I set to when boiling, so I know the flame is always the same, yet my evap rate seems to vary, especially with colder temps. During colder weather, it appears I am getting a higher evap rate (less wort collected). Any ideas?

humidity is more a factor then actual temperature but they both do play a part also the width of the pot or surface area that boils is an area that changes boil off rates

humidity is more a factor then actual temperature but they both do play a part also the width of the pot or surface area that boils is an area that changes boil off rates
I second that, but would also add that wind plays a huge factor as well. I try to brew in a sheltered part of the garage and lean a board up against the burner when it's windy to protect it from the wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: J A
I second that, but would also add that wind plays a huge factor as well. I try to brew in a sheltered part of the garage and lean a board up against the burner when it's windy to protect it from the wind.
Ditto that! I'm moving inside as soon as I can afford a 3500 watt induction burner, a suitable kettle and an electrician.

yeah my family keeps preaching to come up, they live in Denver and love it, maybe some day

Come on out! We'd love to have ya.

Back