Heat pump failure

jeffpn

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A few days ago, we woke up to a cold house in whoville. My long time friend in the business came around today to fix it. He didn’t like the condition of the thin gauge wire connecting the thermostat to the air handler. The wires were loose on the thermostat as well. So he replaced the wire. (The real problem proved to be in a frayed wire outside at the heat pump. He found that next.)

What does this have to do with homebrewing? I’m glad you asked! The route for the wire goes through a drop ceiling in my basement, right where my keezer is. I was on a run to my LHBS when he accidentally kicked a tap. Luckily, the keg was almost blown, so the mess could’ve been worse. But the 5# CO2 tank, which I thought would’ve been about 2/3 full, was completely empty. Thoughts of asphyxiation entered my mind. How horrible that could be, CO2 pouring into a nonventilated area.

Then I looked at the keezer, and all 6 taps had their dry erase markers wiped away! I remember where a couple of the beers were tapwise, but I’m not sure on all of them! So now I’m engaged in a marathon taste test trying to recall which beer is where!

Doh! You've got your work cut out for you! TGIF!!:D

On a related note, I now have a 5 lb CO2 tank to sell. Since I now have a 20 lb tank, I don’t need two 5 lb tanks. Anyone want to make a run to Dayton, OH? $30!

Mmmmm too far for me mate :p.
Id include your keg tap tour id hope:).

Of course! We have little ones (3 yrs old and the like) running around here from time to time. They ask to go on a “field trip,” meaning they want to go downstairs and see all of the beer stuff. Part of the deal has become “feeding the monsters.” I give each kid “monster food” (whirlfloc tablet.) They set it on one of my fermentation chambers. By the time we come back from the other part of the basement, the monster food is gone! It amazes them every time.

Something to consider is like we do. We put a little info on a small lable when the beer goes into fermentation. Just barely stick it on, then move sticker as beer changes vessels. On the keg it goes on the top near the out. We number each beer so it is easy to trace.

I’ve got my kegs in the keezer numbered, so I know which tap the kegs are hooked to. The dry erase isn’t a problem until my hvac guy rubs his but over it trying to get to the ceiling! :D

I use masking tape on the fermentor with basic info (OG, start date, name) and move it to the keg when it's ready then add additional info (FG, kegging date, ABV). Works pretty good, then I just pitch the tape when the keg runs out.

A few days ago, we woke up to a cold house in whoville. My long time friend in the business came around today to fix it. He didn’t like the condition of the thin gauge wire connecting the thermostat to the air handler. The wires were loose on the thermostat as well. So he replaced the wire.

Are you still worrying about your heat pump? Well, I know how important it is at home as it is used to provide heating and cooling. I think there may be a lot of problems that heat pump suddenly stop working. Sometimes ice in the coil can damage the sensitive fins, fan blades, and due to which the compressor gets fail. If top of the unit has heavy ice, then it prevents the transfer of heat between the refrigerant and the outside air. This may stop the working of your heat pump. One can also click over here to contact qualified professional who has a thorough knowledge of the heat pump, refrigeration, air cooling system, etc. Heat pump plays a vital role in the home as it is the only device which transfers heat to a heat sink.

Back