Keezer Coffin Box Access

Reaction score
I am building a keezer with coffin box based on this design:

keezer.jpg

(credit cgolden101 @ homebrewtalk. Here is the thread about his build -- https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/ge-7-0-coffin-keezer-build.392842/ )

I'm thinking about sealing up the back of the box and leaving the top so that it can be removed for access. I see that most people building these leave access from the back. I am not planning on putting anything in the coffin except two fans and the beer lines and the box will be big enough to get my hands in to work. Is there a reason that I'm not thinking about to leave the back open?

If you are going to the trouble of building a beautiful box like that then I would think you should close it and add the fans to cool the lines and back of shanks IMO. very nice woodworking on the pic. Removable? 4 lines and fans would make it complicated. If it was fixed it would just tip with the lid. Removable back, yes.
I stayed with a simple lid lift type with a tray under the taps on front of keezer. easy hook ups and maintenance.
IMAG0197.jpg

Not quite as pretty but easy to maintain, no fans.

If you are going to the trouble of building a beautiful box like that then I would think you should close it and add the fans to cool the lines and back of shanks IMO. very nice woodworking on the pic. Removable? 4 lines and fans would make it complicated. If it was fixed it would just tip with the lid. Removable back, yes.
I stayed with a simple lid lift type with a tray under the taps on front of keezer. easy hook ups and maintenance.
View attachment 2286
Not quite as pretty but easy to maintain, no fans.

Thank you very much for the response but I don't think I was very clear.

I am closing the box and chilling the shanks. My question was only if I could hinge the top of the box rather than the back of it for access into the shanks and fans. I went ahead with my plan. Here is the box so far.

coffinbox.jpg

Head First, I like your drip tray design. When I built my keezer, I saw plenty of discussion of drip trays. Some people who knew better than to drill a hole through the freezer for a shank thought it was worth the risk to drill small holes for screws. Some people won, some people lost. Ive never seen a drip tray move noted to the collar before. Nice!

We need a "Show us your Keezer" thread! :D

Thank you very much for the response but I don't think I was very clear.

I am closing the box and chilling the shanks. My question was only if I could hinge the top of the box rather than the back of it for access into the shanks and fans. I went ahead with my plan. Here is the box so far.

View attachment 2295
As long as there is room to remove shanks and tap lines for cleaning top access should work fine. Good note on original build to mark the lines to know what goes where. Good luck with it:)

Head First, I like your drip tray design. When I built my keezer, I saw plenty of discussion of drip trays. Some people who knew better than to drill a hole through the freezer for a shank thought it was worth the risk to drill small holes for screws. Some people won, some people lost. Ive never seen a drip tray move noted to the collar before. Nice!
Freezer wasn't perfectly square so some shims were needed to make it hang straight from the collar. The tray came from
https://barsupplies.com/nsearch/?q=drip+tray pretty reasonable. With a couple of cup hooks we now hang a small blackboard under it with an on tap list.

I use dry erase markers on the keezer lid to identify the beers. And my kids and their friends love to put graffiti on it!

I have a numbering system, I use a label maker and number the lines in the keezer and then put a label on the tap handle with the name as I add it. to date I've never mixed them up, that doesn't mean it will never happen o_O

It gets to be quite a batch of spaghetti with 5 kegs on tap and 3 more carbonating. 2 regulators with 3-5 split and an out of keezer line for force carb shaking and O2 removal.

Wasn't there an older thread of DIY projects with some keezers on it?

It gets to be quite a batch of spaghetti with 5 kegs on tap and 3 more carbonating. 2 regulators with 3-5 split and an out of keezer line for force carb shaking and O2 removal.

Wasn't there an older thread of DIY projects with some keezers on it?

Your setup sounds amazing! Honest question... how do you go through 5+ kegs at a time before they go bad? I already feel like I'm brewing more than we will consume so my plan is just to give it away to friends and neighbors so that I can keep brewing.

Is your beer going bad? I have 6 tapped kegs and 2 on deck. Each keg remains tapped for about 2 months. The CO2 will keep it from oxidizing.

Is your beer going bad? I have 6 tapped kegs and 2 on deck. Each keg remains tapped for about 2 months. The CO2 will keep it from oxidizing.

No, it isn't but I'm just getting started -- I've never had a kegging system before. I am building a 3 keg keezer and keep thinking about if it is possible to get through 15 gallons before it goes bad. I am probably underestimating our drinking abilities :)

No, it isn't but I'm just getting started -- I've never had a kegging system before. I am building a 3 keg keezer and keep thinking about if it is possible to get through 15 gallons before it goes bad. I am probably underestimating our drinking abilities :)

Do the math for your usage. My wife and I both enjoy beer. We probably average close to 2 pints a day each so 1 keg lasts an average of 10 days unless holidays come along or my nephew stops by or friend's are over for dinner or...
On another note I have a cellar full of bottles getting fuller with big Belgians and Barleywines. In some cases seeing how well they age. Properly handled beer will keep a long time.

Back