Barley name/types

Medarius

Trial Member
Reaction score
Greetings all,
I am attempting to come up with a weissbeer all grain recipe,(65%wheat 35% 2 row) and am having trouble finding 2 row summer barley on recipe builder sites, pull down menus. I know it is in there somewhere but if i put in 2 row barley in search , the closest i get is American 2 row pale. ( I am not interested in using american barley. )

Does anyone know of a site that list barleys by type/ name (name used on recipe builder sites) ?? All assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou in advance. Med

When I find a recipe I want to brew, I leave the grain listed in the recipe if I can find it listed. Then I buy the grain that is the closest match, of my brew store doesn’t have the grain. Alternatively, if the grain in the recipe is not listed in the software, then I use the closest grain listed in the software. If the numbers are close, it’s good enough for me. There are a lot of grains out there. Does any brewing software list them all?

Thanks for tip Jeff, to clarify I want to make a german weissbeer (as opposed to american version with high IBU) I know in america if it isn't bitter it isn't beer. However i prefer the sweeter side which is why I am looking for names of german 2 row in an attempt to make Erdinger clone.

If you are looking for German malt, then Weyermann pilsner or pale ale malt would be a good choice. In the recipe builder here under fermentables, it will be listed as German pilsner or pale ale. Is it made with summer barley? I have no idea, but I don't recall ever seeing a recipe that specified summer or winter barley, only 2 or 6 row. Being a German beer that you are brewing, the choice is 2 row, as 6 row is not used in Europe.

Thankyou much, for help.

I had put "summer 2 row' in original note because this is what my research kept saying would be right , for what I am trying to duplicate. I am new to all grain and just wanted to make sure i was getting as close as possible. Not sure what the difference would be in summer/winter grains, anyhow.

I don't think I've heard of summer barley. It's usually categorized by planting season which is either winter or spring. The wide majority of brewing malts are spring two row blends. Any generic two row base malt will work for the purpose of the recipe builder. If you find a specific malt you prefer you can either list it in the notes or make a custom fermentable.

I know you can do winter wheat, but that's just planted in the fall and grows in the spring. I grew up on a farm and never heard of summer barley. Though I grew up in Canada so who knows what all you foreign barbarians do. ;)

I haven't noticed a meaningful difference in the different country selections so I just use whatever one is close and use the grain I can get my hands on. The stuff I have doesn't appear 1-1 in the grain lists so I just deal with it.

Base malt is base malt in my limited brewing experience whats a lovibond or two in a wheatbeer anyhow its gunna turnnout pretty light:).

I think a more important choice for this beer would be your yeast type
And hop selection and schedule:rolleyes:.​

I think a more important choice for this beer would be your yeast type
And hop selection and schedule:rolleyes:.​
I saved a general guideline of recipe I am going to try under "weissbeer small batch " on this site. I am going with 2.5 gal batch for now until I can get it dialed in to my taste buds.

There is Winter and Summer barley. The summer variety is generally used as animal feed, if I remember right. Use Pilsner. The maltster can decide which kind of barley goes in.

The summer variety is generally used as animal feed, if I remember right.
There are hundreds of varieties of winter and spring barleys. Some are two row, some are six row, and some are four row. Some have desirable brewing properties, some have desirable feed properties, some have desirable growth characteristics, some have desirable climate tolerances, and some are useful only as a cover crop. Some are heirloom, most are GMO.

Fortunately, it's not important for the beginner homebrewer to know any of that. As you point out, malting companies do a lot of work formulating the blends they need to give us a malt product that consistently meets their spec sheet. It's much more important to understand the different types of malts.

I had put "summer 2 row' in original note because this is what my research kept saying would be right , for what I am trying to duplicate.

When you read a reference to "continental 2-row" it's often a jab at the US by the Germans. Through most of the 1800's, Europe grew 2 row almost exclusively while the American climate got the highest yield from 6-row. 6-row has inconsistent grain size so it doesn't mill efficiently without extra processing. Germans considered that inferior and referenced their own in the superlative sense. That's no longer the case, and the world's best malts are made in the US now.

In terms of authenticity, you'll hit limitations. Erdinger has access to malts not exported to the US. The closest you'll get is probably a Southern German malted Munich light. Pilsner is accurate to style, but Erdinger is a little darker in color and the brewery is actually in Munich. Reason suggests they'd be using what was readily available, unless your research indicates otherwise.

When you read a reference to "continental 2-row" it's often a jab at the US by the Germans. Through most of the 1800's, Europe grew 2 row almost exclusively while the American climate got the highest yield from 6-row. 6-row has inconsistent grain size so it doesn't mill efficiently without extra processing. Germans considered that inferior and referenced their own in the superlative sense. That's no longer the case, and the world's best malts are made in the US now.

In terms of authenticity, you'll hit limitations. Erdinger has access to malts not exported to the US. The closest you'll get is probably a Southern German malted Munich light. Pilsner is accurate to style,

Thanks for reply this is a link to article that got me started on summer barley. Many have told me that this person was "the authority" on everything beer before his early departure. So I did put a lot of stock in his articles.

The only detailed article about Erdinger, that I found was

Michael Jackson's Beer Hunter - Bavaria's best advice is -- try the Weiss

"Erdinger contracts with local farmers to grow some of its barley and all of its wheat, and provides them with seed. All the barley is of two-row, summer varieties."

I had found info on other sites however this article list the 3 hops in Erdinger, just up to you to find right combo.

Back