Kettle Soured Maris Otter Mosaic SMaSH

I like the clean taste of a kettle sour. I think that'll play really well with mosaic. Have you tried kettle souring before?

Have you tried kettle souring before?

No this will be my first time. Our brew club is having SMASH contest. Only rules are: Must use Mosaic, Maris Otter. Can be in any amounts, can use any yeast. I was wanting to submit something different. Thought, what about kettle souring it. Could not find anything on kettle souring a SMASH.

The alpha and lactic acids will compete so it would help to balance them. I'd avoid early hop additions and target maybe 20 IBU. Perhaps going FWH just to get your break and then late or dry hop in small amounts.

No this will be my first time. Our brew club is having SMASH contest. Only rules are: Must use Mosaic, Maris Otter. Can be in any amounts, can use any yeast. I was wanting to submit something different. Thought, what about kettle souring it. Could not find anything on kettle souring a SMASH.
Kettle souring a SMASH beer is no different than kettle souring anything else, if that's your question. My advice: Use restraint with hops. Our palates interpret the combination of sour and bitter as vaguely poisonous, although we can train the palate over time to accept the combination. Ferment with something malty. The sweet spot for me in kettle soured beers is sweet-sour - think Thai food! Maris Otter gives a good malt backbone, ferment it with a good English yeast, mash high to preserve body.... I like the challenge of doing what the club asked and may someday end up doing it for myself.

Back