Coconut Milk Powder

ACBEV

Trial Member
Reaction score
Can I add Coconut Milk Powder to the boil?

I would like to add some to a dry stout recipe aka Coconut Stout...

On the packet the fat content is 9%

Its very nice in curry, so I thought it might be nice in stout. But I'm not sure how much I should add, maybe around 250g/9oz

You could add that to the boil, but I do not know what it will do to the final beer.

Maybe add some coconul flakes to the fermenter... I would think it will yield better results. Coconut in any form is very fatty/greasy, so I think it will give a lot of mouthefeel/oily body to the beer.

I use organic Coconut oil for making food, and is was for the last 5 years. And it is better than other oils, also healthier. So I think it will add some body and nouthfeel to the beer.

But that is not a bad thing in a Porter or Stout.

Its very nice in curry, so I thought it might be nice in stout. But I'm not sure how much I should add, maybe around 250g/9oz

Read the label and check what preservatives are in there that could affect the yeasties. Sounds tasty.

I'd think you'd be giving up head retention. I just finished up making a coconut stout, got the coconut in there by toasting a pound of coconut flakes and "dry hopping" with them for 5 days. Toasting is supposed to minimize the impact to the head, we'll see. I'm thinking of adding some lactose at bottling to sweeten the beer a bit. So in answer: I'd boil it and boil it for a while. The fat should then bind to the trub and stay out of the finished beer. And that's a guess - I haven't done it.

Oh thank you three!

Maggi Coconut Milk Powder
Indredients: Coconut Milk Solids (78%), Maltodextrin, Milk Protein (Sodium Caseinate), Stabilizer (Trisodium Phosphate).

I cook up a Sri Lankan curry quite often and use coconut milk powder to add body and a creamy mellow coconut taste. In quite small quantities it thickens the curry sauce, a bit like corn flower does and dissolves without clumping. So I thought it would be perfect for a dry stout. Apart from the fat content.

I also thought about adding lactose, but am not a great fan of sweet stout. However I plan to use some mild malt and mash on the high side, to give a bit of sweetness.

I have noticed varying amounts of fat content in differing products, what I use in my cooking has 9% fat, but a search on the interweb has brought up products with over 60% fat!

Simply mix Maggi Coconut Milk Powder with warm water to make your coconut milk. For a thin Coconut Milk, add 1tbsp of Maggi Coconut Milk powder to 1 cup of warm water (175ml) and mix well. For a thicker and more creamy consistency, add 3 tbsp. Once prepared, pour into your dish and stir regularly and enjoy your delicious meal. After opening, store in a cool dry place and use again!​

Last edited:

Back