Boiling and Lime Softening: Mash and Brew Water Calculator

Head First

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have been working with boiling my water to reduce alkalinity. I need some clarification on how the Water Chemistry Calculator handles this.
If I click boil water the decant box also checks. I see the different treatments you are dealing with decant checked or not, however the software still gives me the recommended slaked lime addition even if just boiling. If I do not add slaked lime will this recomendation be calculated into my water profile anyway? The description is not specific about this. I would assume since there are 3(or 4) ways to treat water with these check boxes in this section that if I check boil and Decant no slaked lime addition will be considered. Is this correct to assume this?

I have been working with boiling my water to reduce alkalinity. I need some clarification on how the Water Chemistry Calculator handles this.
If I click boil water the decant box also checks. I see the different treatments you are dealing with decant checked or not, however the software still gives me the recommended slaked lime addition even if just boiling. If I do not add slaked lime will this recomendation be calculated into my water profile anyway? The description is not specific about this. I would assume since there are 3(or 4) ways to treat water with these check boxes in this section that if I check boil and Decant no slaked lime addition will be considered. Is this correct to assume this?

Don't seem to be getting an answer on this.
Am I to assume that if I just boil and decant without slaked lime that the water calculator will not consider any slaked lime in the calculations it gives me? The description is not clear on this.

I'm not sure why lime is even an issue, its just saying your decanting all solids in the water referencing lime for some reason, you don't need to add any back just change your salts to get what you want

so here is a test I did using the same salts, one I boiled and decanted, all that happened was it lowered my calcium and lowered my Residential Alkalinity

Opera Snapshot_2017-12-16_110509_www.brewersfriend.com.png

Opera Snapshot_2017-12-16_110535_www.brewersfriend.com.png

Exactly. When just boiling to reduce alkalinity why does it give a suggested slaked lime addition? I wouldn't think it would unless you add it in the salt addition. But it is not clear about this.

its a formula thing, not sure why it says that don't pay attention to it

That is what I've been doing. Just crossing t's and dotting i's with my water. It has made a huge difference in the beer I have brewed so far with the water adjustments

what that really means is if you boil and don't decant the lime is still in the water and the script needs to know if its there or not to calculate the correct harness

I don't use lime. Just boil to reduce co2 and releases chalk and calcium from the water. It makes my water much easier to balance without having to ad as much acid. It states recommended slaked lime additions but I don't use it. That's is what I was trying to clarify. Does it take lime into the formulas even if I don't add any with the other salts?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/mash-chemistry-and-brewing-water-calculator/?id=MQ91S3X
This is an example of my water and how I am treating it.

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5792.0
This is an explanation of why I boil my water.
The water calculator seems to be set up for this but with it automatically giving a slaked lime recommendation I was looking for clarity in whether it adds it in the formulas with just boiling.
And yes I have read that article among many others. Good info.

yes your alkalinity is very high, the lime will reduce that as well as boiling but I don't recommend that because it causes all kinds of build up especially in your copper pipes, you still need to decant the water after you boil since most of the minerals as well as chlorine just drop to the bottom then get put back in the wort later

Back