The best beer you've had

ACBEV

Trial Member
Reaction score
Once upon a time I had a pint of Flowers Bitter (3.2%) in a pub garden in Oxfordshire on a summers day, probably in 1997. This pint of beer is the best beer I have ever had. Its the only Flowers Bitter I've had too. I think about this pint of beer from time to time and today I drove past the pub and I could taste the how wonderful it was. I search high and low over the years to find this beer on hand pull, but never had another one.

Is there a particular time drinking a beer you remember well.

Not necessarily the best beer I have ever had, but easily one of the most important. I was 17 and had slept at my older brother's apartment after a night of partying. I woke up with a bit of a hangover so my brother handed me a beer for a bit of the hair of the dog. Unlike the macrobrew lager I had been drinking up to that point in my life, this was a craft ale ( a St. Ambroise Pale Ale, to this day still one of my favourite beers) that actually had flavour. That one bottle was literally the turning point in my drinking preferences, and that has led me to be the homebrewer that I am today.

Once upon a time I had a pint of Flowers Bitter (3.2%) in a pub garden in Oxfordshire on a summers day, probably in 1997. This pint of beer is the best beer I have ever had. Its the only Flowers Bitter I've had too. I think about this pint of beer from time to time and today I drove past the pub and I could taste the how wonderful it was. I search high and low over the years to find this beer on hand pull, but never had another one.

Is there a particular time drinking a beer you remember well.
How odd. I used to use a fishery that had a bar and restaurant. The beer was Flowers!,this was only around 10 years ago as well.I didn't like it very much,drank it as it was all there was available except blasted lager. Guess it depends on how the beer is kept as to it's quality.
If i had to choose i guess it would be Banks's original(mild) from a brewery in the west midlands,
Even that has changed somewhat from the beer we drank some 20 years ago.Still a decent pint however.
Here you go a homebrew recipie-British Brewer » Blog Archive » Recipe: Flowers Original (version 1.0)

Last edited:
"Best" would be really hard for me to narrow down, but I have had my share of beers that I consider really good and some that have just blown my mind the first time I had them.
Some really good traditional beers are some of the bock beers available in Germany, Austria and the Czech Republic. A couple of my real favorites are Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel and Schneider Weiße Tap 5 Meine Hopfenweisse. Another really great one I just had for the first time a couple days ago (and will probably only be a limited run :-( ), is the Störtebeker Nordik Porter.
Some beers that have blown my mind the first time I tried them and I would still consider some of the best are a few from Brew Dog (Punk IPA, Sink The Bismark, Mikkeller Devine Rebel 2010) and Ruination IPA from Stone. Another amazing beer, that I think was only a limited run and I don't remember the brewery, was Flower Power back in Summer of 2015 in the US.

Back