Hey from sunny South Australia

Pinfold

Trial Member
Reaction score
I'm a Grainfather jockey with about 16 batches under my belt (not kidding there either...). My main goal is to create English beer in the cask ale style. Having fun with American ales also.

I'm a Grainfather jockey with about 16 batches under my belt (not kidding there either...). My main goal is to create English beer in the cask ale style. Having fun with American ales also.
Gday gday down under;) any Aussie ale your fond of? Welcome

Welcome mate , another Radelaian is always welcome ...currently listening to the storm outside and sipping a nice cold home brew
Its been raining here for the last few weeks weve all got webbed feet and growing gills!

I ain't even attempted an English anything so far so add me to that list lol...

A consistent English Bitter is even difficult for the big kraft brewers. Their struggles have caused me not to try one, yet.

Pinfold, that Grainfather may get you there. Enjoy. :)

G'day.
Have brewed around 6 or seven bitters and a couple of milds and only one bitter has been half decent.Have one of each brewing now with a new dried yeast,here's hoping.Seems they are not easy to get right.

I almost nailed an ESB first time out , with the no chilled portion i bumped up temp a little higher to throw more esters and it was almost spot on !
Wyeast 1469 did a great job

Hey Everyone,
Thank you to everyone who replied to my greeting.
Happy brewing!

Welcome mate! When you nail an English bitter, please share.:)
Howling,
I have found, as a few people have pointed out here, that English ales are not as simple as they look. Big hoppy American IPAs are hard to miss I guess because balance is not an issue. Similarly big stouts are pretty forgiving.
One thing I would say to those who are daunted, is that English ales with simple grain bills seem to need a little longer conditioning (in the bottle in my case) whereas my hoppy IPAs (with 4 or 5 items in the grain bill) seem to carbonate much quicker.

Gday gday down under;) any Aussie ale your fond of? Welcome
Hey Trialben,
I like a lot of the craft stuff from around here that may not find is way to your part of the world. Coopers is the famous brewery from Adelaide that is selling globally, but I'm not a huge fan. One thing you should try is Australian Galaxy hops if you haven't already. Peaches and passion fruit if added late.

I almost nailed an ESB first time out , with the no chilled portion i bumped up temp a little higher to throw more esters and it was almost spot on !
Wyeast 1469 did a great job
Hi Mark,

Yes I've had a few misses, but getting there. I have a Bishop's Finger clone in the FV right now.
I did find that mine improved down at around 1.050 OG (ie, after I got over the initial home brewer's idea that every batch should be at Moonshine strength. ;))

Hi Pinfold and welcome...

Bitter... My favorite... after Mild, Stout and Porter. ;)

I think everyone should try to brew an ordinary bitter (1.035 ish). Constrained and balance is the key, but not easy to get right. and don't drink cold :eek: not less than 10c...

Hey Trialben,
I like a lot of the craft stuff from around here that may not find is way to your part of the world. Coopers is the famous brewery from Adelaide that is selling globally, but I'm not a huge fan. One thing you should try is Australian Galaxy hops if you haven't already. Peaches and passion fruit if added late.
Dont worry about that there pinfold love me some galaxy now you on the other hand should try some Eureka oh but if youve tried Enigma im all ears and belly:).

I think everyone should try to brew an ordinary bitter (1.035 ish). Constrained and balance is the key, but not easy to get right. and don't drink cold :eek: not less than 10c...
Ive got a lot to learn on the brittish side of beer then.:)

Dont worry about that there pinfold love me some galaxy now you on the other hand should try some Eureka oh but if youve tried Enigma im all ears and belly:).
I’ve never tried either but just doing some googling I should be able to remedy that.

Agree about the temperature, ACBEV. I I’m heading in the direction towards ordinary bitter, but I honestly think that if I could get into the style parameters of Best Bitter (<1.048 OG), then that would indicate great constraint and balance on my part ;). One step at a time.

Back