Question about stirring mash

It’s the whole, “You want to brew the correct way and get good beer? You’d better do what I say, and not what anyone else says” mantra that is rampant in my local homebrew club. I saw it there 21 years ago and never joined, and it was still there 3 years ago when I decided to try that club again. I’m thankful that I get some pretty good advice here, with extremely little of the I-know-everything-and-everyone-else-knows-nothing to go with it. So a sincere thanks, everyone. And that’s not my homebrew talking. I’ve only had one sip of my first pour tonight.
I believe that's called the True Beer (TM) mentality. Anything other than my way is not True Beer (TM). I'm happy to say our homebrew club has little of the True Beer (TM) spirit, much like the environment here. Think about it this way: In a very real sense, we are a virtual homebrew club, at least the regular posters. Only thing is the virtual tasting leaves a bit to be desired.... I've met a few of you in the real world and tasted your beers. And I have to say, I'm proud to be able to hang with you guys. You teach me things and make me think about the things I think I know.

I used to be very involved with another forum (RC flight simulator product). I was fortunate enough to meet several members. It’d be nice to meet some of you, too. Australia is a bit far. Quite an involvement here from there. I get a kick out of that. (Stupid squirrels!) I like what you say about the virtual club. It’s not easy to taste an eBeer!

I use 30 mins @ 144°, 30 mins @ 156°

I'm glad to hear that. Last time I missed my first temperature and ended up with 144º, I let it go for 30 minutes, but then the internet got the best of me, and I ended up doing another step @ 148º, and another at 158º... something about 144º not being hot enough to gelatinize the starches for conversion.... next time, I wont worry about it!

This is a good place to be without a doubt.

Totally. I went from not having ever brewed even an extract, to full on BIAB with excellent results in just a couple of brew sessions. This place has been invaluable.

Stir if you have to, don't if you can avoid it.

With a RIMS system you just recirculate and maintain even temps, even with a step. Sometimes these ideas of "never ever do this" is a repeated wive's tale. When RIMS first started to become popular, there was a lot of BS out there on forums that said it would increase tannin extraction from the grain, but what the detractors failed to realize is that the Germans were doing the same thing for decades with no problems at all. Recirculation is just a gentler way of stirring.

If no pro's stir, what are they doing with a rake in the mash tun? Used with a little restraint, it's perfectly fine.

With my RIMS I halt recirculation and stir every 30 minutes and then about 5min. before draining use my thermometer(gently) to rake as it recirculates so I ensure a even flow through the grain. I tried stirring quite a while back and noticed a different viscosity or maybe smoothness to the mash. With recrculating my mash settles less after a gentle stir. Also it's a good way to double check if you are trying to recirculate too quickly and compacting the grain.

With my RIMS I halt recirculation and stir every 30 minutes and then about 5min. before draining use my thermometer(gently) to rake as it recirculates so I ensure a even flow through the grain. I tried stirring quite a while back and noticed a different viscosity or maybe smoothness to the mash. With recrculating my mash settles less after a gentle stir. Also it's a good way to double check if you are trying to recirculate too quickly and compacting the grain.
I have to “even out the grain” during the sparge because the constant recirc creates dips and holes in the bed. It doesn’t effect the mash, but I don’t want a hole in the bed during the sparge.

I have to “even out the grain” during the sparge because the constant recirc creates dips and holes in the bed. It doesn’t effect the mash, but I don’t want a hole in the bed during the sparge.

Exactly. The glass lab thermometer is what I use to "rake" so I have no choice but to be gentle. Those holes won't affect The mash but will affect the sparge. The stir(with a ss spoon) at 30 min. seems to I guess fluff the grain for lack of other words. If the mash goes 90 min. the second stir at 60 min. finds the grain bed is much softer.

I'd find something else or you may end up with a snapped thermometer and a very short brew day. ;)
Have to be gentle no choice this way.:p

A lot of brews ago i broke a lead weighted glass thermometer in the mash. I remember postong on the forum as to weather i toss the batch or drink it.

I ended up drinking it :eek: touch wood im still alive:confused:.

Not even possible with my setup the mash is too thick and heavy, I have a 3foot stainless paddle

My thoughts on the glass and lead in mash was i BIAB so when i removed the bag hopefully i removed the lead balls and glass shards. Another perk for BIAB:).

My thoughts on the glass and lead in mash was i BIAB so when i removed the bag hopefully i removed the lead balls and glass shards. Another perk for BIAB:).
They should put that little burst sticker on the packaging <**Now Removes Glass Shards!**> :D

My take on glass shards in beer: Hope is not a strategy.

I just heard on the news that there is a recall on salad that contains shards of glass. I wonder if one of the executives recommended to the board to advise customers to eat around them? :D

Trader Joes is not willing to assume that risk. That's why they're recalling the salad.

Commercial brewers including brew pubs stir, if they can. Caveats, they stir very slowly, if continuously, and the marginal increase in yield is important to their bottom line. It isn't to ours. I wouldn't risk introducing oxygen by stirring after dough in but can see advantages to doing it, mostly keeping the temperature more uniform.

You don't need to worry about introducing oxygen in the mash. You put plenty in when you drain or sparge. Most will come out in the boil then you need to oxygenate the wort before you pitch the yeast.

Reasonable precautions: I don't see any need to stir the mash once I've got my initial temperature and pH and have done any adjustments needed. I average around 80% conversion, good enough for homebrew.

Reasonable precautions: I don't see any need to stir the mash once I've got my initial temperature and pH and have done any adjustments needed. I average around 80% conversion, good enough for homebrew.

As I use a RIMS setup I don't stir after mash in either. Continuous recirculation over the top of the grain bed does the job for me.

Back