Hop Extracts

kbrannum

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have taken an interest into hop extracts lately, and was wondering if anyone has used these and what types.

I have done a little research and found that the most advanced hop extracts are really only available to commercial brewers, but managed to get a few samples off of one of the commercial suppliers (info attached). According to the manufacturer, these are only the tip of the iceberg for what they offer, but the amount required to dose a 5 gallon batch is so minimal that it is not cost effective for them to produce a volume that suits home brewers.

The product samples I have gotten are really cool. One increases the head retention to 3-5 minutes, one adds bitterness without aroma, one aroma without bitterness, etc. You also don't loose beer due to hop absorption with these, but I don't think that is much of a concern with small batches.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience to share with these types of products?

* I have no affiliation with the company that gave me these samples and this is not a sales pitch. Just looking for some feedback

Attachments

• Craft Brew Solutions How to Use.pdf
    165.9 KB · Views: 288
  • Kalsec Hop Bitter Extracts Explained.pdf
    239.1 KB · Views: 4,781
I would love to have a hop extract that does both bitter and aroma it just isn't available yet to the public

As for the head retention extract in a few of the others I would have to experiment with them but I hope you took notes on which ones they were and I would love to hear more about it

Thank you for sharing, I look forward to more information.

Actually there are a couple that do a little of both. I haven't been able to try them on a full batch but I can test them on single beers.

The next size up is an $80 bottle and it treats 50 bbl or something like that. I'm trying to talk the manufacturer into producing a home brewer size.

Attachments

• IMG_3954.JPG
    IMG_3954.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 102
I would definitely like to get some science behind it get it tried out a few times in a couple different types of beer

Well adding some verieties of palletises hops definitely aids in head retention I assume in my hombrewed beers. I've got a pretty good hunch Galaxy is one of them hops that beer had a real tight foam on it. :rolleyes: But there are a lot of variables that come to play on head retention in beer. doing test batches where same wort hopped traditional vs hop extracts then do side by side comparisons.

I would definitely like to get some science behind it get it tried out a few times in a couple different types of beer

These products are available at hopwebshop.com if you would like to get your hand on some and try them out. There is a promotional offer on the Hop Passion extract for free plus S&H through black Friday.

These products are available at hopwebshop.com if you would like to get your hand on some and try them out. There is a promotional offer on the Hop Passion extract for free plus S&H through black Friday.
pretty different then most shops I like it, this is ground breaking stuff o_O

Has anyone here ever used the hopwebshop site? I'm always wary of "free" things...

Back