Dark spots on hop pellets

AsharaDayne

Trial Member
Reaction score
I was playing around with my hop pellets and on the Sorachi Ace ones, I noticed some dark spots (shocked gasp)! What do you think that is?

I ordered them in May, but kept them closed in the fridge. I think I opened the pack a month or 1.5 months ago... since then they've been back in the fridge. Looks like the spots are mostly on the top of the pack... Other varieties don't seem to have this.
Be a shame to toss them, but even worse to ruin a batch...

I was playing around with my hop pellets and on the Sorachi Ace ones, I noticed some dark spots (shocked gasp)! What do you think that is?

I ordered them in May, but kept them closed in the fridge. I think I opened the pack a month or 1.5 months ago... since then they've been back in the fridge. Looks like the spots are mostly on the top of the pack... Other varieties don't seem to have this.
Be a shame to toss them, but even worse to ruin a batch...
Only thing i can think of is mould but highly unlikely in the fridge less so if in freezer.

A picture might help.... But if they're fresh out of the bag, I wouldn't worry.

Here's a picture.. They're just dark spots. I also think mold is unlikely, but oxydation perhaps? Is that a thing?
Or perhaps it's just the way Sorachi Ace pellets are made...

The pellets smell OK, but when I taste them, they have a slick creamy mouthfeel. I had a brew with SA for bittering and it also had that unctuousness, which has been noted for Sorachi (and some associate with diacetyl). I guess it's a feature rather than a bug...

Attachments

• hop-spots.jpg
    hop-spots.jpg
    480.7 KB · Views: 138
Good eye, I guess? I don’t think I would’ve taken a second look at them.

You know what they say about a little bit of bitter butter!
when in doubt, through it out

I contacted the seller and they said most likely the pellets caught some moisture in the fridge. Also, that if they don't smell like cheese, they are fine to use. Haha.

Good eye, I guess? I don’t think I would’ve taken a second look at them.
I was tasting hops, taking a pellet fragment from each to get a taste - might not have noticed normally either :)

Well, I'll see... I was toying with the idea of using them in a daring brew with Polaris and Fermentis Saison yeast, now I'm not so sure... I might sort the pellets, discard the spotted ones and go from there.

Then again....hops are cheap enough. Get another bag of hops.

I contacted the seller and they said most likely the pellets caught some moisture in the fridge. Also, that if they don't smell like cheese, they are fine to use. Haha.

I was tasting hops, taking a pellet fragment from each to get a taste - might not have noticed normally either :)

Well, I'll see... I was toying with the idea of using them in a daring brew with Polaris and Fermentis Saison yeast, now I'm not so sure... I might sort the pellets, discard the spotted ones and go from there.
Mate if in doubt this is what id do throw em in before 10 min mark that way sterilizing whatever bug you may be worried about. Better yet just use them for bittering but dont use them for dry hop...

Back