Yeast yeast yeast

Vallka

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Good morning/Aft/Evening
I am using my stir plate for the first time am have some yeast questions.
Just brewed last week, my yeast came form one of our local breweries and there was a couple tablespoons at the bottom of my jar. Can I mix up some DME and pitch the yeast in to have it propagate into enough yeast to use in the future?

I do that too, it takes a day or even a second dme to populate enough to brew the next time so beware

Good morning/Aft/Evening
I am using my stir plate for the first time am have some yeast questions.
Just brewed last week, my yeast came form one of our local breweries and there was a couple tablespoons at the bottom of my jar. Can I mix up some DME and pitch the yeast in to have it propagate into enough yeast to use in the future?
Take your flask next time Vallka and get them to fill that up :p. That way you'll get a nice big healthy population to propagate. I recon a couple tablespoons is at least a half vials amount of compact yeast at least 50 billion cells to start with.

I reclaimed some yeast from a bottle of WIPA I bought from a local craft brewer, pitched it in with a liter of wort that was around 1.040 and waited. After a couple days it didn't look like anything happened and I was bummed out, but I poured some off into a hydrometer and it was sitting around 1.004 so clearly something ahppened. I let it settle, poured off the "beer" and poured in another liter of wort. It went completely nuts and almost came out of the Erlenmeyer. I have a 2L flask with my stir plate for reference.

I reclaimed some yeast from a bottle of WIPA I bought from a local craft brewer, pitched it in with a liter of wort that was around 1.040 and waited. After a couple days it didn't look like anything happened and I was bummed out, but I poured some off into a hydrometer and it was sitting around 1.004 so clearly something ahppened. I let it settle, poured off the "beer" and poured in another liter of wort. It went completely nuts and almost came out of the Erlenmeyer. I have a 2L flask with my stir plate for reference.
So did that give you enough yeast to pitch in the next batch?

i recently discussed that very same thing here a few weeks ago. And I can't remember who responded, but basically, some breweries use yeast with priming sugar just to carbonate. They filter out the "house" yeast as it has done its job. That protects their strain of yeast from going "public".

So did that give you enough yeast to pitch in the next batch?

Yeah I had plenty, I pitched 1/3 of the batch and stored 2 jars with the rest. I probably under pitched on paper but it turned out fine. I'm on my 3rd generation of it now.

i recently discussed that very same thing here a few weeks ago. And I can't remember who responded, but basically, some breweries use yeast with priming sugar just to carbonate. They filter out the "house" yeast as it has done its job. That protects their strain of yeast from going "public".

Yeah I've heard that. These guys are pretty small so I doubt it, I mostly wanted to find out if I could do it. And now I have "my own" personal strain of yeast.

The yeast that I have now came from one of our local breweries, we have three in our small town, and I know it is their yeast because I held the jar as he turned the valve on the 5000 L fermenter

The yeast that I have now came from one of our local breweries, we have three in our small town, and I know it is their yeast because I held the jar as he turned the valve on the 5000 L fermenter
Most microbreweries don't and most will give you yeast if you ask nicely and bring a jar.

Back