It's time to break out

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
I have spent my first year of home brewing on lager, primarily German lagers, next weekend I am going to break out of my norm by brewing an ipl nothing too radical. I am very comfortable with my lodo brewing process, and will continue to brew all my beers as such.

Hoppy lagers, yes? I've had a lot of really bad commercial IPLs. The only time I brewed an IPL it turned out really nice because I used the Mosher west coast IPA water profile, big hop schedule, and fermented it on Saflager W-34/70.

I'm not a big fan of hoppy lagers either, you need some malt back bone in my opinion, and ipa or pale ale works fine with ale yeast and a good choice for a clean ale ipa yeast is West Coast Yeast BRY-97, its clean and isn't hard to brew with

I have spent my first year of home brewing on lager, primarily German lagers, next weekend I am going to break out of my norm by brewing an ipl nothing too radical. I am very comfortable with my lodo brewing process, and will continue to brew all my beers as such.

Pick out a malty lager you like and have built, add some extra aroma hops then after the D rest dry hop for a few days. With a crisp clean malt bill you might want to lean towards English style hops (woody, floral, spicy, not dank). To much citrus (and I like west coast IPA's) in an IPL is overpowering for a cleaner beer, it tastes like a glass of grapefruit juice not beer.

it tastes like a glass of grapefruit juice not beer.
that brings back a memory, I had one like that, you could even taste the rind, the only reason I liked that beer was its odd and authentic flavor I’ve never had before, it was a total accident too, one I can’t repeat

Pick out a malty lager you like and have built, add some extra aroma hops then after the D rest dry hop for a few days. With a crisp clean malt bill you might want to lean towards English style hops (woody, floral, spicy, not dank). To much citrus (and I like west coast IPA's) in an IPL is overpowering for a cleaner beer, it tastes like a glass of grapefruit juice not beer.

Thank you for the information, I will be brewing one of my Oktoberfest recipes, and planned on hitting a dry hop 1 oz of saaz, or mittlefruh.

that brings back a memory, I had one like that, you could even taste the rind, the only reason I liked that beer was its odd and authentic flavor I’ve never had before, it was a total accident too, one I can’t repeat

I'll be sure to take notes.

Back