Pumpkin Ale

Nwmalthead

Trial Member
Reaction score
Looking to brew a pumpkin ale, 2 gallon partial mash. Any suggestions or input is greatly appreciated.
3lb pilsen DME
1lb dark floor malt
2lb pumpkin (1lb in mash; 1lb @45)
2oz Chocolate malt
14g Hallertau pellets @50 (3.9%aa)
1/2 tsp cinnamon @10
5g grated ginger@10
1 clove @flameout
Ferment @67°f WLP 060

Stats would be approximately:
ABV 7.4%
SRM 17.4
OG 1.080
FG 1.023
IBU 18

Are you going to roast the pumpkin so it caramelizes?

I'm at day 7 with my primary fermentation of a pumpkin ale. I used 2 luge cans of puréed pumpkin vs. fresh. Looks great. I'm sure it will be good. I added a vanilla bean and used a little biscuit malt, but my recipe is very similar. What yeast strain are you using? I used Wyeast 1056.

I got some WLP 060 I harvested from last batch. Was thinking of using that.

Also, I may have to make it a 5gal due to the fact I have 2 5gal but only one 2 gal fermentor. And this should get a secondary imo.
Question: can I use my 5gal bucket fermentor as a secindary for only 2 gallons? Or would the airspace create off flavors?

I'd use the 5 gallon for primary. The co2 produced will keep your beer safe and push oxygen up and out of the airlock.
After you transfer, the yeast aren't going to be producing as much, so you want the smaller headspace of the 2 gallon one

Update:
Came out slighter darker and more bitter than calculated but excited nonetheless.
OG 1.076
SRM 27-29
IBU 25-28

Hydro sample had a nice flavor reminiscent of dark chocolate drizzled over pumpkin pie.

Back