Ideas to crush malt without crusher:P

Gledison

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just got my expected grains for my Flamish red and the Special B came intact.
I have no crusher and Im doing BIAB. Firstly I thought about a kitchen Blender. I see that people say that you should crush and not pulverize the grain...Even if im doing a BIAB?
what about adding the grains in a Ziplock bag and beat the crap out of it with a wood roller( that thing Italian grandmas use to roll pasta) :p
any other great ideas? :p
cheers

Hiya
before i got a crusher i did order some uncrushed carahell malt by mistake.I used our kitchen blender and all was fine with my brews.I do know of others who have done the same.
Not the best way of doing it but as a stopgap i reckon it will be fine.
As for trying to beat the s##t out of it,tried that and gave up.
Take a look on ebay,there were some cheap Chinky ones on there,which is where i got my crusher.Paid around £20.Pretty cheap casting and grinders but it does the job and will crush the grains quite fine which is good for biab.

Hiya
before i got a crusher i did order some uncrushed carahell malt by mistake.I used our kitchen blender and all was fine with my brews.I do know of others who have done the same.
Not the best way of doing it but as a stopgap i reckon it will be fine.
As for trying to beat the s##t out of it,tried that and gave up.
Take a look on ebay,there were some cheap Chinky ones on there,which is where i got my crusher.Paid around £20.Pretty cheap casting and grinders but it does the job and will crush the grains quite fine which is good for biab.
Cheers, normally I got them already crushed. just need a quick solution. I think to use the blender as well. I remember that people said that we shouldn't break the grain. im thinking of pulverizing, as it BIAB, only if anyone think this isn't a good option :(

I think the main reason to crush is to help with sparging, so not a concern with BIAB.

Fairly certain trialben uses an almost flour like crush with no issues

Cheers, normally I got them already crushed. just need a quick solution. I think to use the blender as well. I remember that people said that we shouldn't break the grain. im thinking of pulverizing, as it BIAB, only if anyone think this isn't a good option :(
Just bung it in the blender,it won't be an issue
S#d trying to bash the s##t out of it.

I think the main reason to crush is to help with sparging, so not a concern with BIAB.

Fairly certain trialben uses an almost flour like crush with no issues
Cool, so It seems that the coarse crushing is to have the husks to filter the mash juice. any potential trouble due to tanines? if blending to powder muss increase the probability of tanines extraction..or is b$%T£$sht?

I've seen people say they grind it to almost a flour consistency with BIAB. If that's not essentially pulverizing, I don't know what is. I think a blender should be a fine solution in this case.

Yeah that's me I use a suped up blender the missus got the Thermomix just a glorified blender with a heating and timing option on it plus on full ball that thing sounds like it's gunna take off and shoot through the roof into space like some transformers autobot :p.

I wiz on speed 8 for 10 seconds. Now the trick I've found is don't add to much grain to the blender at once or you get un-cracked kernels so I add a small bowl full each time and have found 10 seconds at that set speed gives me some really gritty flour consistency- larger granules than raw sugar though, too fine and you get CRAZY doe balls!!! Also don't mill the night before and use next day I find DOE BALLS are worse:eek: hate doe balls. I use a whisky type thing to smash em up then give it to em with the back of the mash spoon:). Take that efficiency reducing doe balls!

So trick with blender will be add maybe two full cups in- wiz for a set time - pour out into bowl check grain crush and adjust time or grain amount from there. As for tannins I think my pallet can't taste em but acidifying sparge water should help I'm sure just a drop of lactic will be plenty to bring it bellow 6ph.
Good luck

Special B is not going to add a lot of points .. color and a raisiny fruity flavor. You need not pulverize it in the blender- you can pulse it a few times. Either way.

I'd get a Corona/Victoria style mill if I were sticking with BIAB as a method.

I bet if you asked nicely, your LHBS would help you out.

Back