How do I reduce sediment when dry hopping

Rotating Tap

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am fairly new to this home brewing thing so forgive me if this is a newby question...

I am working on a recipe that requires some heavy dry hopping and my first batch quite a bit of sediment (hop bits) made it into bottling. Is there a good method for reducing this? Should I do a second racking after the 2 weeks of dry hopping is done? is there maybe some hardware or software (ingredients) i can use to cause the hops to settle out better?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Do you use a bottling bucket? Or are you bottling from the fermenter?

Do you use a bottling bucket? Or are you bottling from the fermenter?
I have transferring from the carboy to a bottling bucket before bottling. (I racked to a carboy after 1 week, and dry hop for 2 weeks in the carboy)

the only way is to use cold crashing and other fining's and pull the beer off the hops , you loose beer doing this but thats my process, I lose a gallon in a five gallon batch

the only way is to use cold crashing and other fining's and pull the beer off the hops , you loose beer doing this but thats my process, I lose a gallon in a five gallon batch
Thanks, i am going to try the cold crash to see if that clarifies the beer a bit more.

I've been trying a fine mesh cloth on the end of my transfer hose similar like the BIAB cloth to catch any cheeky hop particles that just won't stay put. It seems pretty effective it's fairly sanitary too I tie it on the end of my transfer hose prior to boiling and acid soak. Good luck you'll find whAt works for you.

I have transferring from the carboy to a bottling bucket before bottling. (I racked to a carboy after 1 week, and dry hop for 2 weeks in the carboy)
I was using a hopbag but in my brews i didnt get enough "Juice" out of the hops. If you use it, be sure that the hops are very loose inside (they swell quite a lot).
PS: i have no experience with Long dry hopping, but it seems that is a common practice to dont let more than 5 days. It seems that develop some grassy taste.

My latest ale was dry hopped in a bag and personally dont think i got as much flavour/aroma as setting them loose in the brew. So will set them free in future:).

Hi there,

I am fairly new to this home brewing thing so forgive me if this is a newby question...

I am working on a recipe that requires some heavy dry hopping and my first batch quite a bit of sediment (hop bits) made it into bottling. Is there a good method for reducing this? Should I do a second racking after the 2 weeks of dry hopping is done? is there maybe some hardware or software (ingredients) i can use to cause the hops to settle out better?

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Bag. Use the fancy stainless steel mesh dry hopper. Use whole hops - seriously, they're much easier to screen out. Then the final method: RDWHAHB. Some haziness in dry hopped beers is perfectly acceptable.

I dry hop with pellets (for 5 days typically) directly into the primary glass carboy fermenter. I take a couple of kegs out of the kegerator and cold crash 24hrs as cold as the fridge will go. I find it drops most of the hop matter out very well. After I remove it from the fridge and ready to keg( or bottle), I leave it to settle on the bench for a few minutes before siphoning off.
I find this method is less of a pain then whole hop clean up or using the hop bag but everyone is different

Thats a nifty looking cannister. Do you dry hop in the keg before chilling or as you're putting it in the kegerator? Reason I ask is I've read the dry hopping in the keg at cold temps doesn't utilise the hops as well and wonder what your procedure is.

I ferment in a corny keg so I just pop it open and drop in the canister. After I am done dry hopping I then transfer to the serving keg using co2 and cold crash.

I ferment in a corny keg so I just pop it open and drop in the canister. After I am done dry hopping I then transfer to the serving keg using co2 and cold crash.

Isn't that kinda backwards? Wouldn't you be better to cold crash the fermentation keg and then transfer to your serving keg to leave the yeast, hop and trub particles behind?

Sorry - didn't mean to high jack the thread.

Isn't that kinda backwards? Wouldn't you be better to cold crash the fermentation keg and then transfer to your serving keg to leave the yeast, hop and trub particles behind?

Sorry - didn't mean to high jack the thread.

Oops...Typo. I cold crash in the fermentation keg before transferring.

Back