Question on low OG

Nugnut

Trial Member
Reaction score
As you know I have only started BIAB

Yesterday I did one of Trialbens S & W Summer Ale. My preboil was 1.030 but after the boil it had only risen 4 points. 1.034.

The recipe suggested 1.048 so you can see I was a long way off. What causes this.

Is it a not vigorous enough boil. It was rolling although I admit it may not been enough.I may have to get a more ferocius flame.

Any help welcomed.

As you know I have only started BIAB

Yesterday I did one of Trialbens S & W Summer Ale. My preboil was 1.030 but after the boil it had only risen 4 points. 1.034.

The recipe suggested 1.048 so you can see I was a long way off. What causes this.

Is it a not vigorous enough boil. It was rolling although I admit it may not been enough.I may have to get a more ferocius flame.

Any help welcomed.
I use a vigorous boil that's my 3 ring burner on flat out that way it's consistent. So you mashed in with similar grain bill as I had in that recipe Nugnut? It looks to me like efficiency was down a bit so therefore resulted in a lower than expected FG or Original Gravity.

To give you some peace of mind I usually get about 8 ish points after a 60 minute boil.

How was your mash schedule? What did you mash in at 65ish centigrade? How'd the sparge go?

Last edited:
Here's me brew log for a glimpse of my preboil post boil gravity points. This brew didn't go totally to plan that day but still turned out a great beer:D.
image.png

Mate I mashed for 60 mins, full volume at 64 ish to 65.5 as best I could then lifted the bag not out of the wort and rose temp to 71 for ten minutes, No sparge and lifted the bag out and drained with small tender loving squeeze.Plenty of stiring as it went. Looking at your log I think I had too much water 32 litres as my recipe said.

Mate I mashed for 60 mins, full volume at 64 ish to 65.5 as best I could then lifted the bag not out of the wort and rose temp to 71 for ten minutes, No sparge and lifted the bag out and drained with small tender loving squeeze.Plenty of stiring as it went. Looking at your log I think I had too much water 32 litres as my recipe said.
I've found sparging will give you some extra points maybe try that next time. I usually mash at 25lt and sparge 5lt. The more you brew the more you'll dial in your equipment how you want it. It'll still turn out great I'm sure just lower alcohol so you can drink more of it without getting plastered :p.

Back