Batch size vs est. boil size?

adder85

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Im new to this forum and need some help with definitions.

Im currently making an extract brew, DME with steeping grains. Total boil time is around 75 minutes.
For batch size i set this value to whatever i put in the fermentor at the end eg. 10 liters. (after adding water to my cooled down wort)

Est. boil size: Is this the pre-boil volume or post-boil volume?
my pre boil volume is 5 liters and post boil volume is 3,5 liters

This means i fill up my post boil of 3,5 liters with 6,5 liters of sterile water to get a total of 10 liters that goes into the fermentor.

How should i fill out the batch / est boil size correctly for this?

Thanx in advance =)

/Mikael

Hi Mikael and welcome to the site,
its preboil or starting boil size, the batch size is either what your putting in your fermenter or ending boil size, you select that in the drop down

Hi Mikael and welcome to the site,

its preboil or starting boil size, the batch size is either what your putting in your fermenter or ending boil size, you select that in the drop down

Perfect!! Thanx for the really quick reply!

Hi everyone!

Im new to this forum and need some help with definitions.

Im currently making an extract brew, DME with steeping grains. Total boil time is around 75 minutes.
For batch size i set this value to whatever i put in the fermentor at the end eg. 10 liters. (after adding water to my cooled down wort)

my pre boil volume is 5 liters and post boil volume is 3,5 liters

This means i fill up my post boil of 3,5 liters with 6,5 liters of sterile water to get a total of 10 liters that goes into the fermentor.

How should i fill out the batch / est boil size correctly for this?

Thanx in advance =)

/Mikael
Just to pick up on one point.
I have done quite a few extract brews and really 60 mins would be more than enough for a boil,most of mine were 40 minute boils and even that could be reduced to 30 really.
Just to confuse you;):)

I have done quite a few extract brews and really 60 mins would be more than enough for a boil,most of mine were 40 minute boils and even that could be reduced to 30 really.
Not really. As long as you get the hop isomerization you need, 10 minutes is enough.

But you are talking about the time before adding the hops right?
What i mean with 75 minutes was 15 minutes of extract (DME) cooking and 60 minutes total boil time for my hops (divided up in multiple adding phases).
So what is the correct time to add in the boiling time field? :D

That's it.Throw the cat among the pidgeons:D:D:D
I've thought about doing a hop-burst extract IPA using a fifteen minute boil. Not seriously, but thought about it.... It would have the shelf life of raw meat but should be glorious for about a week.

But you are talking about the time before adding the hops right?
What i mean with 75 minutes was 15 minutes of extract (DME) cooking and 60 minutes total boil time for my hops (divided up in multiple adding phases).
So what is the correct time to add in the boiling time field? :D
No
total boil length.It really doesn't need that long.45 minutes tops.

I do a smash extract that boils for 15 minutes, just put your hops in cold water, you have to add more than usual if you want it bitter at all but the flavor is great

Back