breakfast brown

oliver

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a breakfast brown ale soon, I have a lot of questions though.

Here's my intended grain bill:
60% 2-row
10% Munich
5% Chocolate
5% C40
20% Oats
+Lactose in the boil
+Cold Brew coffee @ bottling

1. Type of Coffee, What type of coffee should I go with? I don't even drink coffee so I'm a little lost there. I definitely want to cold brew it in a French press the night before bottling, and just add to bottling bucket.

2. Does lactose fully dissolve in the wort? I've been straining my brews through a mash bag and into the fermenter recently to cut out and sludge, and If I use lactose, will the mash bag catch the lactose??

3. YEAST. I'm running in circles on this one, between liquid, dry, English, American. I might just end up using US-05, however, I'm all ears if anyone has something good.

4. Water, my intentions are doing something really malty, and not worrying about the bicarbonate. I've read a lot that says bicarbonate is really good for brown ales, but I kinda want a softer malty profile. Suggestions there?

I make a coffee porter a couple times a year. I put 4 oz of dry coffee grounds in at 10 minutes before flameout, 5 gallon batch. In my opinion, anything else would be too much work.

I have used ESE coffee pods,cold brewed for about 24 hours or so and added to a stout.Did a mix of two regular strength and two Moccha pods in 200 ml of water added just prior to bottling,this was for a 6 litre batch.
It came out really well and went down well with those who tried it.Certainly one to do again
Also did a mackeson ,obviously with added lactose.Shove it in at 15 minutes,no problems:cool:

Last edited:
I make a coffee porter a couple times a year. I put 4 oz of dry coffee grounds in at 10 minutes before flameout, 5 gallon batch. In my opinion, anything else would be too much work.
what is your preferred yeast for that?

I tossed in 30g of ground coffee in fermentor pre ferment and another 15g once ferment was done. Mmmm mmmm lovely coffee roasty chocolate stout.

Back