Diastatic Power calculating

PZ

Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I rarely make a beer where diastatic power is an issue, I never gave the little number in the recipe calculator any thought. Is it supposed to be an average of the mashed grains? I wouldn't think that a quarter pound of 2 row and 8 pounds of grits would convert too well, but the calculated number is 140. Am I missing something?

Thanks, PZ

It would depend on the DP of the two-row, but that does seem high. Can you grab a screenshot so we can see what's up?

I have always wondered about grits. I know you can sub grits for flaked corn, but how would they work into a recipe (or calculator) where DP is concerned. I'll follow here to see what comes up.

It doesn't matter what you put in. I was just using grits as an extreme example. Using a front end as a debug tool isn't ideal.

I have always wondered about grits. I know you can sub grits for flaked corn, but how would they work into a recipe (or calculator) where DP is concerned. I'll follow here to see what comes up.

They would be the same as other unmalted grains; basically a DP of 0.

Yooper, were you unable to reproduce my results? Attached is a screen shot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-21-19-45-42.png
    Screenshot_2017-09-21-19-45-42.png
    259 KB · Views: 296
They would be the same as other unmalted grains; basically a DP of 0.

I guess I am misunderstanding DP. Not a big deal - always learning. But I did a little recipe test (here in BF) and with 7 pounds of 2 row in 5 gallons, got a gravity of 1036 at 70% efficiency. Add a pound of flaked corn and it comes up to 1042. Switch grits for FC and it stays at 1042. Does that indeed indicate that there is diastatic power in either grits of FG?

Last edited:
I guess I am misunderstanding DP. Not a big deal - always learning. But I did a little recipe test (here in BF) and with 7 pounds of 2 row in 5 gallons, got a gravity of 1036 at 70% efficiency. Add a pound of flaked corn and it comes up to 1042. Switch grits for FC and it stays at 1042. Does that need indicate that there is diastatic power in either grits of FG?

No.

Diastatic power is a different measure. It measures the enzymatic content of the grain. If there is enough diastatic power in a base grain, you can use unmalted grain and convert the entire mash. A wit is a good example- you can use, say, 50% unmalted wheat, along with the two-row and still get complete conversion.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/faq/#recipes30

we've got it fixed now! Thank you for the report.
Thanks! Now, could you look into the preboil gravity calculation? You probably don't believe me, but it's also broken. I posted a request a little while ago and also a long time ago. Thanks again.

Thanks! Now, could you look into the preboil gravity calculation? You probably don't believe me, but it's also broken. I posted a request a little while ago and also a long time ago. Thanks again.

Yes, we're working on that one!

Back