i know it´s a stupid idea...but...

Gledison

Trial Member
Reaction score
Just finished my attempt to get a beer Close to Beavertown´s Gamma ray. The beer is not even Close to remind the Gamma ray Aroma.
im thinking of bring the beer back to the Fermenter and dry hop again (with loose pellets directly - no hop bag).
Someone has this "briliant" idea before :p ? Maybe tips why should not try it. I believe that oxidation wouldnt be a big issue once the beer is carbonated and will be expeling CO2 during the Transfer. Of course i will have to add extra sugar for re-priming.
please be gentle, dont hit me so hard :(

Where is the beer now? In a keg? In bottles? Personally, I would cut my losses on this beer and drink it. Make V2 a fresh. The potential likelihood of infection or oxidisation will of course be increased.

I also read this exbeeriment post that talked about the difference between hop bag or no. Might be worth a read. It made me think the ease of the hop bag was prob worth the small loss of flavour but the choice is yours. I guess it also depends on your set up and equipment. http://brulosophy.com/2017/07/03/loose-vs-bagged-dry-hops-exbeeriment-results/

Where is the beer now? In a keg? In bottles? Personally, I would cut my losses on this beer and drink it. Make V2 a fresh. The potential likelihood of infection or oxidisation will of course be increased.

I also read this exbeeriment post that talked about the difference between hop bag or no. Might be worth a read. It made me think the ease of the hop bag was prob worth the small loss of flavour but the choice is yours. I guess it also depends on your set up and equipment. http://brulosophy.com/2017/07/03/loose-vs-bagged-dry-hops-exbeeriment-results/
Cool, we had a discussion in other thread about hop bag. I believe he didnt find much difference because he has a big bag in which the hops can be relatively loose. I was using a tee bag in which the hops were quite compacted and this could have led to the low Aroma..
Thanks for the link!

coming from someone who uses a secondary, i'd say limit how much you're transferring the beer. you've probably got good sanitation practices, but it's just one more surface for the beer to touch

that being said (and sorry for the anecdote), i did bottle and cap a 3 gallon batch before realizing that i didn't put the priming sugar in first. reopening and carefully pouring around 3 dozen beers back into a bucket was a real PITA, not to mention having to re-bottle everything

Just drink it and enjoy it for what it is:cool:
Are any clones really as spot on as the original!,unless you are very clever i doubt it.

Drink it, learn from it and improve 2.0. I would not attempt to un-package it, decarbonate it, dry hop it and repackage, too many places for something to go wrong. For example, what exactly missed? Hop character (hint, you're not using the same hops)? Malt character (ditto)? Yeast character (likely they're using a house yeast or a strain we can't buy in small amounts)? It may not be possible to duplicate the beer but is it good? Drinkable? Tainted? Use the experience and learn from it, studying as much as you can about what went wrong while you're enjoying one....

Drink it, learn from it and improve 2.0. I would not attempt to un-package it, decarbonate it, dry hop it and repackage, too many places for something to go wrong. For example, what exactly missed? Hop character (hint, you're not using the same hops)? Malt character (ditto)? Yeast character (likely they're using a house yeast or a strain we can't buy in small amounts)? It may not be possible to duplicate the beer but is it good? Drinkable? Tainted? Use the experience and learn from it, studying as much as you can about what went wrong while you're enjoying one....

Just opened another bottle yesterday and ist quite drinkable and somehow enjoyable.F$§%it :)
Thats the best of discussing things on Forums; I will follow the suggestions and not touch it. The good Thing is that im doing 5 Liter Batches, so, tomorrow i will brew again adding loose hops during dry hopping and compare it with the previous one .
Thanks everyone

Back