Fresh Hops Calculators

Audran Guerard

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi All!

With September upon us, I'm ready to harvest some hops in my backyard. It's a first for me, and I want to use them fresh in a Saison style ale(but no brett, i want to discover the full range of these hops without yeast interference).

I'm planning to brew a simple beer.

- OG 1.040
- FG 1.008 or lower(ill probably use a champagne yeast)
- Hops boil 60min
- Hops Stand for 30min after boil, (starting around

I've been doing some reading on fresh hops, even if dry and papery to the touch, they still have a massive amount of water and weight about 6 to 8 times what they weight when fully dried or in pellets. Various websites suggest a 6 to 8 ratio of use. So in recipe where you normally use 1oz of pellets, you should aim about 7oz of fresh hops.

The problem is the recipe editing calculator seems way off. I get 400IBU using 8oz of fresh hop at 60min.
Now I really doubt the tool make a distinction between fresh or dry hops.

So I was wondering if anyone here had experience using fresh hops, and what recommendation would they have.

Cheers!
Audran

I brewed a pale ale with some friends and we used their harvested wet hops. We used 5 times the amount and it seemed about right. Anywhere between 5-7 would probably be safe.

Sounds good, thanks!

It'd be nice if Brewerfriend update the tool to reflect the wet hops vs dry hops.

thanks again!
Audran

Like Boomer says about 5 times as much should see you right. i have only ever dried picked hops but might try a wet hop brew myself at some stage.
A fairly local brewery do a fresh/green hop beer every autumn as a special:cool:

Sounds good, thanks!

It'd be nice if Brewerfriend update the tool to reflect the wet hops vs dry hops.

thanks again!
Audran
Yes agreed! I just noticed this the other day when I also went to brew a fresh hop beer. It clearly isn't calculating right.

Yes, we are working on this right now. We should have it ready in a day or two.

Back