Clear beer

mikeham57

Trial Member
Reaction score
Im having trouble getting my beer clear recently.I recently started doing 10gal batches with fine mesh
Grain container ( BIAB).I toss in a wirlfloc last 10 min of boil.I keg the beer.Any proven methods?

I assume you cold crash, what's this fine mesh grain container??? Pictures if possible.

Don't fret too much over cloudy beers. The only way to clear the beer from the start (as far as I know), is to filter it. But that comes at a cost... will strip flavor as well as cloudiness. Just my $0.02

I started cold crashing recently. Helps a lot with clarity and is good enough for me. If that isn't clear enough try cold crashing and using gelatin.

Good pH control is helping in my lagers. If I keep my mash pH at/around 5.4 and my wort pH at/around 5.2, I get absolutely great cold break and very clear beers without fining. Seems to help with ales, too, although I haven't made enough of them to make a decision.

Good pH control is helping in my lagers. If I keep my mash pH at/around 5.4 and my wort pH at/around 5.2, I get absolutely great cold break and very clear beers without fining. Seems to help with ales, too, although I haven't made enough of them to make a decision.
That's absolutely true. Low pH (5.0-5.2) after the boil aids in protein coagulation and creates an environment that favors the yeast over bacteria.

Lagers can be made brilliantly clear, just as clear as any commercial beer, in 2 to 3 weeks of lagering time when PVPP is used. It does not strip the beer of flavor and actually improves colliodal stability, preserving the beer by reducing oxcidation over time. All this without filtering.

You don't have to clear your beer to that level, but it's damn cool when you do and serve to people. They usually surprised to find out it's a home brew.

image.jpeg
I assume you cold crash, what's this fine mesh grain container??? Pictures if possible.
It's a fine screen stainless bucket. It'll hold 25 lbs easily the feet keep it off
The electric element.BIAB but this is the bag

where is that from ? i need a new hop spider and bigger is better for me since i seem to be using an almost obscene amount of hops lately !

i'm a no chill BIAB guy and still get nice clear beers using nothing more than whirlfloc @ 5 mins and polyclar during cold crash

where is that from ? i need a new hop spider and bigger is better for me since i seem to be using an almost obscene amount of hops lately !

i'm a no chill BIAB guy and still get nice clear beers using nothing more than whirlfloc @ 5 mins and polyclar during cold crash

It's from Ontario beer kegs check their site.I also use it for the hops during the boil

View attachment 1896

It's a fine screen stainless bucket. It'll hold 25 lbs easily the feet keep it off
The electric element.BIAB but this is the bag

Looks like my method with the mesh container acting like a bag. Works well for me and is easier to clean. I find it helps with sparging too. Interestingly, I have been expecting cloudiness and not getting it. I read somewhere that a good, vigorous boil makes for clear beer, a weaker boil for cloudier beer. Could you be being a little tame with the boil? I was with my first few brews and they were cloudy. There may have been other things too, like bottling direct from Primary (which I have now corrected). I did get some clear beer bottling from Primary though, just it was inconsistent.
I have been using oats and recently wheat malt, and still getting clear beer. I am putting this down to the boil. I don't cold crash or use gelatin, just use irish moss 15 mins from the end of the boil.

Back