Batch Sparge Temp Calculator

techdoutdev

Trial Member
Reaction score
When doing batch sparging, it'd be great to have the temp of water in order to achieve my batch sparge temp calculated for me. e.g. I've completed my strike infusion and completed my initial mash, the batch sparge tab would then calculate that I need to heat my batch sparge water to xx temp based on the water absorbed grain (how much and what temp), how much additional water I need to get the right volume, any heat loss adjustments.

For mash out and sparging, I always aim for about 168-170F. I don't vary this from recipe to recipe. There's been some discussion about whether or not the sparge water needs to be hot, but I think it's generally accepted that it shouldn't go above 170F to avoid tannin extraction.

Brulosophy.com did an exBEERiment on sparge temps:
http://brulosophy.com/2016/04/11/sparge-temperature-pt-1-standard-vs-cool-exbeeriment-results/

As for the volume, if you have your equipment profile dialed in, the "quick water requirements" in the recipe should tell you the volume needed for the sparge. I use that to collect water in preparation for brewing.

Experts, correct me where I'm wrong here! :D

Also, does it bug anyone else that auto-correct on iPhones is convinced that the word "sparge" doesn't exist? :)

For mash out and sparging, I always aim for about 168-170F. I don't vary this from recipe to recipe. There's been some discussion about whether or not the sparge water needs to be hot, but I think it's generally accepted that it shouldn't go above 170F to avoid tannin extraction.

Brulosophy.com did an exBEERiment on sparge temps:
http://brulosophy.com/2016/04/11/sparge-temperature-pt-1-standard-vs-cool-exbeeriment-results/

As for the volume, if you have your equipment profile dialed in, the "quick water requirements" in the recipe should tell you the volume needed for the sparge. I use that to collect water in preparation for brewing.

Experts, correct me where I'm wrong here! :D

Also, does it bug anyone else that auto-correct on iPhones is convinced that the word "sparge" doesn't exist? :)
They dont a speck a our language:)...

right - I'm referring to the mash out temp. After reading that article (thanks notrealdan!), it sounds like this temp isn't super critical. However for newbie brewers, it'd be helpful to have something say: heat xx gal of water (based on remaining amount needed for the batch) to xx degrees to achieve ideal sparge temp. Given the different ranges of mashing temps, there can be a decent range to heat the mash out water up to.

Thanks!

When in a brew session the mash calculator will give you this info if you have your profile filled in properly.

When in a brew session the mash calculator will give you this info if you have your profile filled in properly.

Thanks though perhaps I'm missing it? On the batch sparge tab i see the volume (which is calculated), but only a temp input for the mash out water after its been poured in. There is a temp calculator on the infuse tab but this doesn't seem to calculate right after I've drained to kettle - the calculated temp is way too low.

Thanks though perhaps I'm missing it? On the batch sparge tab i see the volume (which is calculated), but only a temp input for the mash out water after its been poured in. There is a temp calculator on the infuse tab but this doesn't seem to calculate right after I've drained to kettle - the calculated temp is way too low.

I see what you mean now. It just gives guidelines for batch sparging. I haven't paid that much attention to this as I just heat my water to close to 200 depending on size of batch. The guidelines say 180-190 and even at room temp of 70 this only brings me up to 160-165.
I would imagine this can only be a guestimate for the software because everyone's process and brewing rig would change this temp.
A word of caution if you do 2 batch sparges the 2nd needs to be at or below the 170 max temp as your grain is already at that temp from 1st sparge.

The temp calculator is for raising mash temp not sparging so it wouldn't help you.

Sorry I probably was not much help. I have my system dialed in and use water calculations and already know what temp to strike and sparge with. You will be there soon. Cheers!

+1 to this. Something for sparging to let you enter your desired mash out temp and have it calculate not only the amount needed (which it already does) but the temp to bring it up to that takes into account your equipment profile (like it currently does for the mash water).

Back