water salts

jimmyz

Trial Member
Reaction score
So I always follow the chart for what type of beer for example light color and hoppy and adjust salts to satisfy the calculator however my ph always is high when i check. Does this calculator not take ph into account? That would be nice if it could be done. I don't want to have to use something like bru in water in addition to this.

Hey mate. So the calc is telling you the Ph is high, or your physical measurement is letting you know?

So are you measuring your ph or just going off the calculated levels ?
The water you start with has a major impact on what you end up with , just blindly adding salts to bring calcium up and getting sulphate chloride ratios correct could actually be hurting rather than helping .
Do you have an accurate water report or are you using rain /RO /distilled ?
With my water here i use a very small percentage of acidulated malt to drive mash ph down to acceptable levels and only add mall amounts of salts

Hey mate. So the calc is telling you the Ph is high, or your physical measurement is letting you know?
I check ph @ 10 min into mash and that tells me its high. Then I normally add lactic acid.

So are you measuring your ph or just going off the calculated levels ?
The water you start with has a major impact on what you end up with , just blindly adding salts to bring calcium up and getting sulphate chloride ratios correct could actually be hurting rather than helping .
Do you have an accurate water report or are you using rain /RO /distilled ?
With my water here i use a very small percentage of acidulated malt to drive mash ph down to acceptable levels and only add mall amounts of salts

I brew with bottled water thats pretty much a blank slate. That's why I add the salts. I will try adding acidulated malt and see what that does.

Playing devil's advocate, I guess, but why would you assume that bottled water is a blank slate? Much bottled water is just some factory's tap water, maybe with their own filtration or additions.

Playing devil's advocate, I guess, but why would you assume that bottled water is a blank slate? Much bottled water is just some factory's tap water, maybe with their own filtration or additions.
Hinkley and Schmidt spring water is basically ro water. They sent me the report on both waters and they were almost identical so that's why i call it a blank slate. Im suprised they call it spring water cause there really isnt hardly any more minerals in it.

Even with RO water, you likely need lactic acid or phosphoric acid or acidulated malt for light colored grainbills.

When you do your water calculations, if you use the advanced calculator, it does tell you the projected pH. Are you saying that the projected pH is lower than your actual measured pH? If so, by how much? If there is an issue with the calculator, we'd like to fix it. Can you provide some screenshots so we can see what's going on? I'd really appreciate it!

And calibrated is a big one if the PH meter hasn't been calibrated in awhile the readings will be off. I can't rely on my oh meter ATM the tip is stuffed poor storage I think on my behalf:rolleyes:.

Even with RO water, you likely need lactic acid or phosphoric acid or acidulated malt for light colored grainbills.

When you do your water calculations, if you use the advanced calculator, it does tell you the projected pH. Are you saying that the projected pH is lower than your actual measured pH? If so, by how much? If there is an issue with the calculator, we'd like to fix it. Can you provide some screenshots so we can see what's going on? I'd really appreciate it!

I guess I have some homework to do- I didnt know there was an advanced calculator. Where is it?

Never mind i found it! I will use that from now on,

Let me know if that helps- you should get a pH prediction and can see how that matches up.

it would be nice to be able to link this to be part as the recipe... source water, target profile, salt additions then acid /w pH estimate.

Back