10 gallon batches

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
Gonna try a 10 gallon batch next weekend. Fingers crossed I can do it in a 10 gallon cooler, and a 15 gallon boil kettle.

Grain bill is 20 lbs.

It'll be tight but I've done it before, just watch for possible boil over.

15 gal boiled down to 10? How long of a boil is that?

Nevermind, I read that as you were going for a 15 gal boil and not that you were using a 15 gal kettle.:rolleyes:

At-a-boy Crunk! I'm pulling for ya!

Soon gonna be visiting you for brew day mase. I'll be bringing some helles.

Gonna try a 10 gallon batch next weekend. Fingers crossed I can do it in a 10 gallon cooler, and a 15 gallon boil kettle.

Grain bill is 20 lbs.
I do it all the time. No problems but watch out for boil over. Keep a spray bottle of cold water and a stir spoon handy and you should be good. When brewing 2 batches at a time that's when it gets a little trickier. You can mash up to 25#s of grain in a ten gal. if you thicken your mash to 1.3

I only brew 12 gallon batches now with a finished beer volume at 10 gallons in the kegs but I have 20 and 25 gallon pots so no boil overs for me, the 25 is the boil kettle and in most cases I start with 15 gallons of wort for vigorous boil and 14 for a light boil, I lose 1/2 gallon through my system if your wandering so I stop at 12 1/2 in the boil kettle, this also allows me to save some wort for starters and drain only clear wort into the kegs so yes I lose allot but the finished beer is much better sooner for doing it this way

Thanks everyone for the information, now I have no fear about brewing a 10 gallon batch.

Good luck Crunk you got this;) your chill time will also be longer on larger volume and of course your yeast pitch/starter volume.

Good luck Crunk you got this;) your chill time will also be longer on larger volume and of course your yeast pitch/starter volume.

I have made the adjustments to accommodate a 10 gallon batch as long as my equipment handles the volume well, I am pretty sure 10 gallon batches will be my normal brewday, as I go through 5 gallons, before the next batch is ready to drink.

I'm also investing in 4 to 6 more kegs and a keezer. I will have a total of 10 kegs, so if I brew 10 gallons every 2 to 3 weeks, I should be able to maintain a solid supply of beer, and allowing time for every batch to have plenty of lagering/conditioning time.

I'm curious how you handle the small cooler size, I have a 10 gallon Igloo cooler and a 16 gallon pot so I'm interested in giving it a try myself. I normally batch sparge so I'd be interested to hear what you do.

That will work for a normal 1060 or below beer , the cooler will be almost full and the pot will be too just stir and spray for the hot break and you'll be fine

I guess my thought on it is will I need to sparge multiple times? I feel like with that much grain I won't get enough water into the cooler in 1 batch. I'm not sure it's really an issue but it's got me at a pause.

You just need to run it slow and maybe twice, fly sparing is best for large amounts

Man, but batch sparging is so much better for my being lazy. ;)

yup , im set up for automatic fly sparge but it takes an hour so the time all adds up to 6 or 7 hours for me

I'm not set up at all for fly sparging so I'm a bit hesitant to mix it up now. I may just have to run multiple batches and hope for the best.

so drain the mash wort into the kettle then fill with water then drain it into a bucket and pour it back on top one or two more times

Back