1st competition

CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
August 5th I am entering between 1 and 3 beers in my first competition held locally. Just for shits and giggles.

great stuff mate you'll ace it enjoy the experience.

I'm looking for feedback, anything else is icing on the cake and thank you sir

I'm brewing my Pilsner ATM just finished 1st step decoction from 63c up to 68c I'm only doing the one decoction on this brew day I decocted for 30min will see if this adds any better body/head retention to the brew:rolleyes:.

I'll have to do a decoction mash next brewday , was handed a 5 kg sack of gladfields pilsner malt , a bag of Pacifica hops and gigayeast norcal 1 and told to make a sMaSh beer .

May be only way I can get a bit more mouthfeel and head out of it and if nothing else it'll be something different

I'll have to do a decoction mash next brewday , was handed a 5 kg sack of gladfields pilsner malt , a bag of Pacifica hops and gigayeast norcal 1 and told to make a sMaSh beer .

May be only way I can get a bit more mouthfeel and head out of it and if nothing else it'll be something different

Well I can see already it won't add much colour my hydrometer sample was pretty pale :p. It tasted right though it's hard to get an idea pre fermention how it's going to taste. I'm boiling for 90 ATM about 45 left will flick some pics up when I'm done. Nothing like a Tuesday afternoon single decoction brew.

On a side note I think I'm going to have to name a beer after Jeff the Hornet! ;)

Entering into a local County Fair Competition. Interesting how this will come out. Quite a few people around here brew but don't usually compete. Hoping that my brewing buddy and I can bring in some competition with some good judges. Kind of rough to reduce to 5 beer catagories but we will have to work up from here. Will keep you posted.o_O

Entering into a local County Fair Competition. Interesting how this will come out. Quite a few people around here brew but don't usually compete. Hoping that my brewing buddy and I can bring in some competition with some good judges. Kind of rough to reduce to 5 beer catagories but we will have to work up from here. Will keep you posted.o_O
Best of luck to you! The hardware's nice if you can get it but the feedback is invaluable! Our County Fair discontinued their homebrew competition after a few glitches for a few years in a row, our homebrew club is looking to revive it.

I need to brew my dirty Belgian blonde again and see if there's a competition I can get it in. Two coming up: Our local homebrew shop has an annual competition for Oktoberfest/Maerzen styles only, then they sponsor the attached brewery's homebrew competition. Will see how I do - took third in the Maerzen competition last year.

Hey Crunk! Heard anything on your entries yet?

Yeah, I forgot to update, unfortunately I was not able to enter the beer I wanted to, I wasn't ready in time.

Best of luck to you! The hardware's nice if you can get it but the feedback is invaluable! Our County Fair discontinued their homebrew competition after a few glitches for a few years in a row, our homebrew club is looking to revive it.

I need to brew my dirty Belgian blonde again and see if there's a competition I can get it in. Two coming up: Our local homebrew shop has an annual competition for Oktoberfest/Maerzen styles only, then they sponsor the attached brewery's homebrew competition. Will see how I do - took third in the Maerzen competition last year.

I don't expect much but if we can get the ball rolling this year with some press( my brew buddy works for the local newspaper)and good judging(Zoo City Zymergists, a local club) maybe it will start to build.
I like to see any beer promotion on the homebrew level but am not that concerned how I will score with mine. With 6years experience and over 150 brews I still call myself a noob. There is lots to learn about the brewing process. But good opinions are an important piece of information.

Ok the results are in. My brew buddy with her extract with steeping grain kicked my butt with 4 of the 5 blue ribbons and her lager took best of class. I got a blue with my Robust Porter which scored a 39-41-42 which I was happy with. My other entries were all in the 30 to 38 range except for my Red IPA which has lost the bitter for some reason, so I'm ok with that. It was good input and fun was had by all. I did find it TORE ME UP to watch people drink beer and not have a glass in my hand. Also realized the judges come from an adjoining county so their fellow club members can enter next year.:)

C'mon, man! We spend so much time telling people that extract is inferior to all grain! You just undid a lifetime of work!!

C'mon, man! We spend so much time telling people that extract is inferior to all grain! You just undid a lifetime of work!!
Noseybear is chuckling too.
One thing about it is almost everything she knows about brewing is from asking me questions.
I guess I'm a better teacher than I thought. Along with good recipes from the LHBS!!!! Hats off to those guys!

Noseybear is chuckling too.
One thing about it is almost everything she knows about brewing is from asking me questions.
I guess I'm a better teacher than I thought. Along with good recipes from the LHBS!!!! Hats off to those guys!
LMAO, more like it! Going to do an extract Helles tomorrow or Monday, depending on how other tasks go.

Back