Potential Stuck Fermentation with Molasses

Beer_Pirate

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am brewing a pumpkin ale for my wife, and as it is a new recipe, I checked the gravity a little earlier than I normally would have. The OG was 1.058 and I pitched a pack of US 05 on top when the wort hit 78 F. I then cooled it to 68 F and fermentation took off! Now, 4 days later, airlock bubbling has stopped and it's reading about 1.024. The BF calculator was estimating an FG of 1.010. The recipe is as follows:

Steeping:
0.5 lb Caramel 60
0.5 lb Roasted Barley
1 lb Vienna Malt

Boil: (60 min)
6 lb Extra Light DME
0.5 lb molasses
0.5 lb brown sugar
3 lb pumpkin

Hops:
1 oz Nugget, 14.1 % AA (60 min)
1 oz Nugget, 14.1 % AA (30 min)

Whirlfloc tablet at 45 min

I know that extracts can lower expected FG at times, but this seems way off. If it makes a difference, I added the pumpkin into the fermentables section with a PPG of 1 (just based on checking online). Am I just being impatient or do I have a stuck fermentation?

I am no expert but give it more time.don't rely on an airlock to tell you anything.I rarely get any airlock activity as lids often allow gases to escape.

Last edited:
Ditto that: Rely on your hydrometer (or refractometer) to tell you if fermentation is done. Four days seems a little soon for fermentation to be over but that's yeast and temperature dependent. Check your gravity. If it's at or near 1.01, you're likely done. Then check it again. If there's no change, you're definitely done (or stuck, if it's still up at around 1.024).

By the way, if all you're doing is checking to see if fermentation's done, you can use the refractometer without correction: All you're looking for is a change (or none) from one day to the next.

Just one other thing,Should Vienna be mashed and not steeped?
Having said that i have steeped munich and it's been fine so perhaps you can!!!

Last edited:
With only a dozen batches under my belt, I am in no means experienced enough to tell you what to do. However, since primary fermentation is nearing the end, maybe bump up the temp a degree or two. We've never had a stuck fermentation, or at least the symptoms of a potential stuck fermentation, but raising the temp a degree or two, might wake up the yeast so they can finish their job. If nothing else, its a low risk option to wake them up.

Thanks for the feedback! In regards to the steeping grains, I actually did more of a mini mash using a grain bag. I heated my water and added the steeping grains in a bag and held it at 152 F for 60 min before starting the boil. I also rinsed the grain bag with 165 F water as I drained it.

Imo, it should be mashed, no sense letting all that diastatic power go to waste. You're still going to get something out of a steep (like you said with the munich), but you might as well use victory, biscuit or another specialty malt that is similar to Vienna. Munich has a pretty distinct taste to me, and I can't think of other malts that may be able to sub (not that there aren't any)

Vienna does need to be mashed. Ditto JCM's statement on Munich - it can't be replaced. Munich can be steeped but it's better mashed.

I.just had a stout fermented with wlp090 usually hit 81% attenuation but this brew hit 71%. fg @1.018 depends on a lot of things i mashed high so i think dextrins... im glad its sweet not dry for thus brew too.

Also lots of caramel malts used so these dont fully ferment as well.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the tips everyone! I was just being impatient. The beer has now stabilized at 1.011.

Unfortunately! Hopefully I can make it last these last two weeks before my pale ale is conditioned and ready!

Back