Mangrove Cider Yeast M02

Jason Cox

Premium Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the mangrove cider yeast before?

I started my first cider, and i'm not happy with it. It is VERY yeasty tasting. Will it will age out, or if this is the common result for this yeast?

I used 100% honey crisp apple juice, some brown sugar, and yeast energizer/nutrient. It was very sulfury, but that has faded, but still doesn't taste good at all after 5 weeks.
My original was 1.052, final is about 1.009, fermented about 70deg which is in the right range for the yeast.

Thoughts?

Cider also likes to age, so nothing wrong with setting it aside for a few months and tasting again later.

My thoughts exactly ozarks and KC apple cider ive made in the past was with fruity Champaign yeast nice and dry and it got got better with time.

I also did not like Mangrove Jacks cider yeast. It worked well when I added to wild yeast to it, though.

The best yeast so far is Fermentis Safcider. I also sued Brewer's Best Cider House and it was okay. A strong candied apple flavor, almost like Snapple Apple drink. But it had good body and was tasty.

I've got a pack of German Wine yeast up next.

I also did not like Mangrove Jacks cider yeast.
I'm curious, what did you not like about it? I guess my ask is what should I expect as a result with this yeast? With beer and wine, after primary i can get a general idea of what it will taste like (and if I will like it), so not sure if the same is true with cider. I am going to take other's advice and just let it sit in the keg for a few months and cold crash. But at some point I will want to free the keg :)

I'm curious, what did you not like about it? I guess my ask is what should I expect as a result with this yeast? With beer and wine, after primary i can get a general idea of what it will taste like (and if I will like it), so not sure if the same is true with cider. I am going to take other's advice and just let it sit in the keg for a few months and cold crash. But at some point I will want to free the keg :)

I don't recall specifically. For home cider makers, we often use purchased must from farmer's markets and orchards, so we are stuck with the juice they provide. We rely heavily on the yeast to add complexity and depth.

From what I recall, the yeast left the cider medium sweet and bland, little acid, moderate tannin.

Safcider makes it dry but balanced with good acidity good tannin and good sweetness.

They sound like some stellar cider yeasts there @emsroth my experience with cider is it can ferment right out leaving hardly any body.

sorry for the late reply, but I had a lot success using White Labs WLP775 English Cider yeast. That yeast is hard working & my ciders are fruity. Also my ciders are a lot clearer as well. I have used Red Star Montrachet wine yeast. That cider was like a dry white wine.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I don't really like the mangrove yeast as of now, but might need to wait a little longer.
Might be in part my fault, I should have aireated better, and I fermented slightly warm 72 I think.

I guess I'll need to pay up and try all these side by side.

Thanks for the input. I don't really like the mangrove yeast as of now, but might need to wait a little longer.
Might be in part my fault, I should have aireated better, and I fermented slightly warm 72 I think.

I guess I'll need to pay up and try all these side by side.

keep up w/ the updates & provide details of what you are finding. BTW, I have harvest yeast from my backyard. Now I am trying to see if I can ferment juice & make a nice wine. Not sure if the yeast from my backyard is an alcohol producing yeast. We shall see shortly.

Ive found an easy way to boost the mangrove yeast, I've tried several ways but the plain old table sugar seems to work the best, they just love the stuff and it keeps them going longer since the main issue is they flocculate too fast even before finishing, the sugar gives a boost

Ive found an easy way to boost the mangrove yeast, I've tried several ways but the plain old table sugar seems to work the best, they just love the stuff and it keeps them going longer since the main issue is they flocculate too fast even before finishing, the sugar gives a boost

what about using a yeast nutrient like Fermaid K at the beginning of the fermentation?

I've herd sultanas boiled in a bit of water then mashed up is a sorta home made yeast nutrient I've tried that probably to no avail.

I made a cider for my daughter that turned out really, really good. I put some blueberries in water with about 8 oz. of table sugar and boiled for 5 minutes added 5 gallons of Aldi Apple Juice (no boil). Used SafCider, just one pack. It was slow to start and slow to finish - I actually bottled to find it was still working, in addition to priming with corn sugar. No bottle bombs, but the cider was carbonated almost like a Champagne... but doesn't foam like beer. I just started another batch but switched to Mangrove Jack's M-02 Cider yeast, after 10 hours no activity. Hope it works as well as the SafCider.

I recently used champagne yeast in a mojito cider for the first time. I am very please with how it turned out.

Im keen as well to try a cider with Aldi apple juice but not sure they will let me buy 20lt of apple juice at this present time covid and all. might get told to put some back because im hordinf apple juice.

Back