IPA color changing

sn00ky

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

couple moths back I bottled a few test bottles of my IPA, the bottles on the right are of the same batch, but possibly bottled at a different time (from same keg).
oxidation maybe?
2017-08-11 12.40.47.jpg

I noticed clear bottles. I tried that, and my beer got badly "skunked". Would recommend dark brown bottles...

Oxicidation does cause beer to darken. It also causes the bitterness to change and the beer gets, for lack of better words, "weird". The beer also gets less clear.

I have read that before, and suspected it was a possiblity, still tastes good at this point, will drink up before it gets to bad, thanks

Have you got Kegging options Sn00k? I tell ya what the colour change is crazy. Yep oxidation is said to lead to darker beer. Brulosophy tried intentionally to slash in a keg transfer to introduce oxidation into an exbeerments and it was inconclusive tasters couldn't tell them apart.

Well that adds up to my experience as well.
And yes , they were bottled from a forced carb keg, just bottled the last gallon or so to free it up for another batch lol.

Whatdya recon that some stratisification may have occurred. Between I'd really be complexed it this happened in a stout keg! Start out luring stouts and end ,with pales...

Lol! No, I don't think that's the case, at the time I was doing experiments on the everything, and one was pouring a few bottles of the ipa and letting them age ( bottles on right I think/hope/maybe?) So that I could taste the difference first hand of how the hops aromas can deplete over time. The other bottles were filled as said before for purpose of freeing the keg. Can't help but think perhaps I had them sitting too long filled before capping them. I usually let the head pour out the top , stick a sanitized cap on it, then come back after and clamp down, since my capper is also my counter-pressure filler. Perhaps i didnt have enough head...ha
I'm transitioning into ezcaps , totally worth the cash.

Wow did that turn into a story!

Update, cracked open a bottle of the darker bunch, still delicious! No doubt the aroma has worn down some, but still quite drinkable and no cardboard taste at all (not surprising)
2017-08-21 09.42.04.jpg

Well that adds up to my experience as well.
And yes , they were bottled from a forced carb keg, just bottled the last gallon or so to free it up for another batch lol.
no related with the Color Change, but did you added extra priming sugar when transfered to the bottles or just filled them in?

Back