My water

Stephen P

Trial Member
Reaction score
I got a water report from my water purveyor. I know very little about water chemistry. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how it looks for brewing?
Ca+2 =19
Mg+2 =1
Alkalinity =17 (CaCO3)
That all the info in the report. Thanks

Last edited:
You should be able to make very good light beers with water that soft.

Not a very detailed report mate hope you didnt pay muchforit.

Any suggestions on additions for my darker beers?
a good place to start is Bru'n Water. It's a lot of initial reading to learn what you're doing with water, but you'll be glad the info is in your brain.

https://sites.google.com/site/brunwater/ .... They have a ton of water profiles hidden in there too.

These days when I brew, I only mess with Gypsum and CaCl additions to distilled water. I've stopped worrying about Na and Mg additions in my water, and I'm content with those numbers being zero.

edit: also, go to your profile on this site, and start adding some water profiles. You can search site wide, I know all the Bru'n water profiles are on here, people have probably added endless other dark beer profiles and whatnot too.

Any suggestions on additions for my darker beers?
Carbonate. Lots of it. And as mentioned, find a good water calculator and use it. For information, I recommend the Brewer's Association book "Water" or "How to Brew" by John Palmer. But here's the deal: As soft as your water is, it will make good beer. Add 50 mg/l calcium and get good at making beer before you worry about how much CA++ you really need or the chloride-to-sulfate level. Water is a minor contributor to beer flavor as long as it's potable and tastes good. At some point you'll consider adding some table salt to beer because hey, salt just makes food taste better but start by worrying about sanitation, fermentation management, the recipe, etc., the big contributors to good beer.

Back