CRUNK

Trial Member
Reaction score
Original gravity at 1.048 on this helles and the clarity is spectacular

Attachments

• 20170812_165556_resized.jpg
    20170812_165556_resized.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 150
Sticking to your moto again i see crunk brewing better beer. Im out vamping Atm so can only admire what you other brewers are churning out.

I definitely should brew a helles one day...

Last edited:
This beer is reinheitsgebot compliant, I used Sauergut that I made to acidify the wort biologically.

I just wanted to see if I could do it, and come to find out, the process is really pretty simple. I can't wait to taste it.

Now that I feel satisfied in my ability to make really good pilsner, I plan on trying a few other styles.

I did sneak a taste of my Marzen and it's tasting great. My octoberfest is coming along nicely.

i generally brew within the spirit of the law but not to the letter .
i do add salts and even finings to my beers so even those that do not contain rye or wheat malt are not 100 % compliant with the original law but are compliant with the modern version

I stirred up the hornets nest.

It was a personal goal for me, just to see if I could do it, it just happened to turn out really nice so far.

Are you happy with your brewing ? Do you even care what random internets peoples think of your brewing ?
If you answer yes to first then nothing else matters ! For someone who only started brewing not long ago you're making rapid progress and keep it up

Are you happy with your brewing ? Do you even care what random internets peoples think of your brewing ?
If you answer yes to first then nothing else matters ! For someone who only started brewing not long ago you're making rapid progress and keep it up
Agreed!

I stirred up the hornets nest.

It was a personal goal for me, just to see if I could do it, it just happened to turn out really nice so far.
Not a hornet's nest, at least not here. Glad it's working out! Sauergut is just too much trouble for me so I'll stick to my nicely controlled 88% lactic acid. It's chemically identical to the "naturally" produced stuff - in fact, it's likely produced by refining something like sauergut - and not using it is superstition, not science.

I take my first running approximately 2 litres, I goes In a few mason jars with a handful of unfilled pilsner malt, until 5 days prior to brewing, the I put them in a plastic bucket with my soul vide @ 120°f until it's time to add it to the mash of boil in millilitre increments.

Then I draw enough to replenish the used amount, and back to the frig. Until it's time to cook again.

It's simple once I get it started.

From 1.048 to 1.014 in 4 days with 34/70, expected final gravity based on the fast ferment test 1.008 it is now in the spunding keg, yeast is collected and stored the fermenter is washed and sanitized and ready to go again.

I stirred the mash At Dough in and at each rest and that seems to have corrected my efficiency problem I had an efficiency of 81.01%

I have the spunding valve set to 15 psi I'm going to leave the temperature at 48 degrees for the next 3 to 5 days until the fermentation finishes then cold crash it and begin lagering.

From 1.048 to 1.014 in 4 days with 34/70, expected final gravity based on the fast ferment test 1.008 it is now in the spunding keg, yeast is collected and stored the fermenter is washed and sanitized and ready to go again.

I stirred the mash At Dough in and at each rest and that seems to have corrected my efficiency problem I had an efficiency of 81.01%

I have the spunding valve set to 15 psi I'm going to leave the temperature at 48 degrees for the next 3 to 5 days until the fermentation finishes then cold crash it and begin lagering.
One question are you flying blind on them last few gravity points as your lager is spunded in the keg? How do you test gravity or you just give it 5 days and call it done? Or you draw some off aye?

I performed a fast ferment test to determine the final gravity it took about 24 hours

I can do it a couple different ways I draw off the tank and check the gravity with my hydrometer I feel more comfortable doing it that way because I have a backup hydrometer in case I'm second-guessing myself.

I could just turn the keg over and submerge the spunding valve and wait for bubbles, or I could attach a hose to the end of the spunding valve and submerge the other end of the hose into a bottle half full with water and wait for bubbles but all that would do is tell me it's still fermenting

I performed a fast ferment test to determine the final gravity it took about 24 hours

I can do it a couple different ways I draw off the tank and check the gravity with my hydrometer I feel more comfortable doing it that way because I have a backup hydrometer in case I'm second-guessing myself.

I could just turn the keg over and submerge the spunding valve and wait for bubbles, or I could attach a hose to the end of the spunding valve and submerge the other end of the hose into a bottle half full with water and wait for bubbles but all that would do is tell me it's still fermenting
Yep I didn't think of the spunding valve gas release was just wondering yep can't beat the trusty hydrometer.

Hey once your fermentation in this spunding keg is done do you then transfer to serving keg or serve straight from spunding keg?

If I have Clarity issues I will transfer it to a serving keg if not I'll serve it straight from the spunding keg

I have thought about picking up the clear beer system and cutting my dip tubes halfway up and putting the hose on it and float it so I'm pulling beer from the top of the keg and not the bottom

That's just so I can start serving it early and have clear beer if I wait long enough it clears itself without an issue

I have thought about picking up the clear beer system and cutting my dip tubes halfway up and putting the hose on it and float it so I'm pulling beer from the top of the keg and not the bottom

they sell an adapter like that at more beer, I have one and it comes with a small dip tube but I don't use it because the top of the keg is too watery tasting for me, I just cut an inch off the bottom of mine and let it drop at 34 for a week and no sediment ever

Back