Smore's Recipe

mbrierley

Trial Member
Reaction score
Almost all the smore's recipes out there are for stouts/porters. Anyone make one using a Pils base?

I think they're using the dark base to get the "graham cracker" flavor, a flavor that's hard to do with a Pils. You might try Vienna or light Munich - they're more toward bready or toast flavors but that would be more along the lines of what you want than the flavors of a Pils.

I think they're using the dark base to get the "graham cracker" flavor, a flavor that's hard to do with a Pils. You might try Vienna or light Munich - they're more toward bready or toast flavors but that would be more along the lines of what you want than the flavors of a Pils.
Thanks, was also thinking of adding some biscuit malt or just boiling up some grahams.. LOL

Graham crackers should be fermentable if you mash them. Don't know if you'll get the same flavor.

Yes you can mash graham crackers. I've done it but I didn't pick up muck of the flavor. You'll need a lot and the thread on HBT is pretty adamant about using Honey Maid.

Does anyone have references to proven Porter recipes that have a good graham cracker flavor? I have seen information relating to using real graham crackers and also Virginia Dare Graham Cracker Food Flavoring. Thanks

Back