Steam Beers

chub1

Trial Member
Reaction score
Have ordered up some Californian Common yeast for Steam beers.
Never brewed one nor have i tasted one.Looking at some recipies it would appear that Norther Brewer hops are the go to hops to use..Any of you guys brew this stuff,if so can any hops be used or should i stick to the N Brewer's
ta

Have ordered up some Californian Common yeast for Steam beers.
Never brewed one nor have i tasted one.Looking at some recipies it would appear that Norther Brewer hops are the go to hops to use..Any of you guys brew this stuff,if so can any hops be used or should i stick to the N Brewer's
ta
I've brewed some steam lagers just used 34/70 and ran it at ale temp 18c tasted good to me but I'm biased:p.

Can't help you with a traditional cal common I'd use whatever hops you felt were suitable I've got one for you it's from Aus one of our new cultivars I was reading up on it last night called "Enigma" check it out!;)

Northern Brewer hops are good.

Do some searching for Anchor Steam clones, those will get you where you need to be.

Also, if you want to get crazy, do it like Anchor does it. Open fermentation vessels.

Off topic but Anchor Steam just got purchased by Sapporo.

I actually just bottled a California common a few weeks ago. First attempt at a "lager"

The hops should not be pronounced, so pick something neutral and do more early than late additions. I'd have to look it up, but I think I bittered with magnum at 60, then northern brewer (not sure how much or when)

I actually just bottled a California common a few weeks ago. First attempt at a "lager"

The hops should not be pronounced, so pick something neutral and do more early than late additions. I'd have to look it up, but I think I bittered with magnum at 60, then northern brewer (not sure how much or when)
Since hops aren't a featured ingredient in this beer, Magnum makes a great choice - good neutral bitterness.

i based it on Jamil Z's recipe, California Uncommon i think was. the name. found it in an online BYO article or similar place
it used some munich and chocolate malts

Was wondering how you did with this beer chub1? I had a bottle of mine the other night and it really came together. Solid bitterness but not enough to overpower the malts. I swear it had a bit of a chocolate taste. Not sweet though.
No idea if it's anything close to an anchor steam, but I'll take it anyway

Back